Silhouette (James Bond Competition Entry)

• 20 Replies

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:53:46 AM »

http://soundcloud.com/paul-vasey-1/silhouette

When I decided to write this Bond Theme, I wanted to explore certain aspects of events that had happened in the Fleming novels/Bond films.  The idea for Silhouette follows on from 'On Her Majesty's Secret Service' in which, Bond's wife dies.  I wanted to explore this event a little further, to write about the impact of her death on Bond.  Yes, he's a fictional character but also a fascinating one.  The Bond competition is a great opportunity to test our writing skills.  Since the pressure is of and we don't have to deliver  a specific style of composition for a film, I thought I'd write something that presented Bond in a different light.  In Silhouette, he's a broken man, overcome with grief and angry at the world.  The Brunette woman that he meets at the bar, can never replace the woman that he has loved and lost.  After their brief liaison, he must face up to feelings of guilt and self loathing.  Not the typical bond character that we all feel we know so well.  

Silhouette

Cast:

James Bond
A un-named woman

"So beautiful' Bond whispered to himself.  It had been three agonising weeks since the death of his bride Tracy.   "I thought that we had all the time in the world"!   This was Bond at his lowest point.  He wanted to stay,  perhaps find the comfort that he longed for in the arms of another.   Lost in his grief, morose and at his most vulnerable, he looked one last time at the sleeping beauty then made his exit in the coldness of the early morning light.

Two hours earlier, Bond had observed the brunette woman at the bar, immaculately dressed,  wearing an elegant black evening dress and  matching heels.  Bond found himself staring at the string of pearls that followed the contours of her neck.  A casual encounter he thought to himself:  "I care not that your not the one"!  

Silhouette

Stay 'till the night has gone.
I care not that you're not the one.
Help me forget her face,
my darkest thoughts, this fall from grace.

A diamond so beautiful will sparkle an eternity.
Stay 'till the night has gone, banish this uncertainty.

Her touch was gold and I was lost to love.
So beautiful, an angel from above.
The morning light illuminates my pain.
I'm a  silhouette, a shadow in the rain.

If death is the final twist,
Then nothing else can coexist.
 Help me to let this go,
Discard the hurt that plagues me so.

A diamond so beautiful will sparkle an eternity.
Stay 'till the night has gone, banish this uncertainty.

Her touch was gold and I was lost to love.
So beautiful, an angel from above.
The morning light illuminates my pain.
A silhouette, a shadow in the rain

http://soundcloud.com/paul-vasey-1/silhouette

James Bond will be back!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:38:25 PM by Paul »

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 01:47:54 PM »
the way you weave all the instruments together in this is  just magic paul
its wonderful to listen to all these diffrent sounds your combineing  together to make this song

i think some harmonies would make the vocal stronger ..i mean so much is going on with the instruments that it leaves the vocal sounding a little bare ...do you know what i mean?

but i still think its incredible & a magnificent bond theme
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Paul

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 02:44:47 PM »
I know exactly what you mean tina! You wouldn't believe the number of tracks involved in this project.  My Mac really struggled to handle it all.  I wanted to add backing vocals but my mac was freezing as it struggled to cope.  I wanted Andy/Kafla to sing vocals but it wasn't just a case of swapping my vocal for his.  It would have required a new mix as I needed to raise his vocal above the instrumentation. Unfortunately, in doing so, it was clipping badly. In the end I was happy to leave this song alone and now feel that I need a good rest from writing and producing for a while.  Some projects are like that, completely enjoyable but they take up so much of your energy.  

It was a huge task to balance everything and i'm pleased that you have recognised this.  

Thank you so much for reviewing this song!:)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 04:05:19 PM by Paul »

Kafla

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 03:58:33 PM »
the way you weave all the instruments together in this is  just magic paul
its wonderful to listen to all these diffrent sounds your combineing  together to make this song

I know you will be happy with this comment Paul - we speak a lot about how this is probably the hardest thing to do production wise

Every instrument has its own space yet the whole thing has a tremendous synergy

This is one of the most ambitious efforts I have heard on this forum

The only criticism is that I think my vocals were better  :o

Only joking this a phenomenal song and arrangement  ;D

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 05:23:59 PM »
very nice track paul and does sound like a bond theme.
you sing it beautifully, 
lovely feel to it, sounds very pro
some terrific surprises in the mix, grit amongst the lush sound ..

and i have to say that bass drum is perfect. weird but first thing i took in..
bloody difficult (for me anyway) to get that lovely bounce in its own space like that..
fine work

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Paul

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 11:57:10 AM »
Hi Andy,

Sorry for not including your vocal Andy.  As you know I've been juggling many projects lately.  Unfortunately I couldn't find enough time to add your vocal and balance the mix  whilst fulfilling all the other demands that life presents.  I know you don't mind! As always, I thank you sincerely for taking time to review my work.

Hi nooms

Thank you so much for reviewing this song nooms. I always value your opinion and look forward to reading your posts.  I was so pleased that you acknowledged the grittier parts of this production that provide a contrast to the otherwise "lush sound". 

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 12:22:33 PM »
Very nice Bond theme, can already imagine its part in a Bond movie during the opening sequence, with the silhouettes (how fitting!) of guns and bullets and gorgeous dancing bond girls... but I digress  ;D

You really did an amazing job fitting all of those instrument parts into one song without making it sound muddy or oversaturated, kudos to you !

The break at "stay" is genius!
This is already so much better than the songs used in the recent 007 movies ! :)

I know from a Bond song people expect the typical theme somewhere in it, but I thought the melody at 4:00 sounded a bit forced, like it's only in there cause it's the bond theme...

The beginning with the gunshot is really cool too (damn it, I wanted to use that !  :D ), but the piano notes after the shot reminded me very much of the (absolutely awful) "Another Way To Die" theme by Jack White and don't seem to fit in with your (awesome) theme song to follow...

Anyway, really great job, I'll take this over Adele's Skyfall anytime !

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
Very good music Paul, very atmospheric and fitting for such a film, i was just thinking bring some big drums in and you did lol top work mate
Learner guitarist

Florida Mike

• Open Mic
    • Michael Holmes Singer Songwriter Official Site
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
Very nice work Paul, great for anything...not just for a film song.  I love the Spanish Nylon string flavor, in fact at the end aroun 4:13 I would re-introduce the Nylon into the track...also at around the 2:50 mark I find the mix level of some of the background pads detract a bit (could simply be by trimming them back/panning etc) I would let the listener find them in the track without being as obvious. I really liked it, even from the first bar it grabs you attention, very cool Mr Bond!

james bond 007

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 10:11:50 PM »
paul your making life difficult for me here...dragging up the past...& expecting real acting skills ...
& where are the 1 liners? where are the double entendres.. where is the fast cars & gadgets ?
i am not a sensitive shakesperian character actor...i am a sexy love machine i am a sweet talking lothario in a expensive suit in a fast car full of gadgets....
anyway nice song the ladies will love it  8)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 03:44:54 PM »
This is very, very clever songwriting. You've crafted a song which is original but there is just enough of a bond flavour in the arrangement and lyrical references to cue you in to the whole Bond thing. I adored the string arrangement - I think it pulls the listener in with it's emotional weight

It's sophisticated beyong belief - it sounded like later period Prefab Sprout which I think I've mentioned before on one of your other songs. The quality of the production is incredible;  Paddy McAloon meets Al Stewart is how this strikes me.

Makes me wonder if there is any point entering the competition  :'(

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 10:22:49 PM »
A beautiful song Paul...Really good arrangement. A lovely tapestry of textures and colours. I love the feel of your voice, sensitive and delicate. An excellent song for any film/tv, good 'all round ' appeal....the sort of song I could take home and introduce to my Mum  ;D ;D.....Loved it....I was shaken and stirred ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:35:07 PM by Binladeda »
Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

stephaniedema

• Solo Gig
    • Sienna Little on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 09:06:01 AM »
Great song, Paul!

Very engaging all the way through.
Keeps you interested by the huge amount of instrument, the evolution in the music ánd in the vocals. I love how you put the parlando bits in without overdoing it.
Original edge to the whole bond thing as well.

Your latest songs have really made me aware of how good a producer you're becoming. Kudos!

SD
Like a little spider I'm climbing the insurmountable. But I never hold myself accountable. - KT Tunstall

https://www.facebook.com/siennalittlemusic
https://twitter.com/SiennaLittle
http://www.reverbnation.com/siennalittle

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 06:42:07 PM »
Gratz on this production Paul, truly first rate. Loved the nylon guitar and the way you used it for impact and effect. Not overused, just kept me waiting to hear it and wanting more. I can understand what a huge project this must have been as there is so much diversity in this one piece and then add to that the massive number of tracks involved and the mixing to get them all heard so clearly, a job to be proud of.

Kudos to you.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »
what are these Kudos your all talking about  are they a new breakfast cereal?
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)