One Sided Love [New version]

• 19 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »
I am getting a "Smiths" Vibe from this. I wonder if Morrisey is an influence of yours?

Strong writing, good lyrics and nice arrangement. Yup it needs a less muddy mix but as you say it is in progress.

My main gripe is that on first listen my ear struggled know where the Chorus was. Granted I heard sections change clearly. But I didn't know where the lift was. But, then the same can happen with Smiths songs; multiple listens reveal the truth rather than pop sluttery

Good song
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »
Blimey that is a feast of sound and influences. I really love the melody and the guitar work too. Perhaps just a little to rich in places - would mind hearing stripped back to its basics because I think it is very good song in so many ways. Not sure if you are not selling the song a little cheap in terms of content - think it might deserve a better subject - though I think this is a competition entry? Overall really liked it. But perhaps less could make this song even more enjoyable? BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

Michael

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »
Thank you all so much for your input ! :)

NEW VERSION

I've finally gotten around to doing a "proper" mix of the song.
The arrangement is pretty much the same as before, but I tried to make the whole thing sound less muddy (I'm not very good at this part), and tidy up a few bits in the mix.
I don't think I'm gonna make any more changes to it and abandon it as it is, unless some of you find some major bloopers, especially concerning the production.

@ James:
No, never really listened much to the Smiths or Morrisey.
I see your point about finding the chorus in the song. I've tried to make it stand out a bit more in the new mix, hope it works better now (I wanted to add harmonies there too, as habitat suggested, but could not really reach the notes I wanted and it ended up sounding worse than before...)

@ BTB:
Yes, this is a competition entry. I realize that the subject is not a very common one, and it's probably not exactly easy to write about without sounding cheesy, but I do think habitat has done a great job writing the lyrics to this one.

@ MOSP:
i dont think i'm gonna get anything for this challenge
I hope you decide to give it a try, the more the merrier! :)
Plus I think, especially with a subject as the one at hand, an acoustic song can sound so much more emotional and intimate than what I've delivered so far...

Well, thanks for listening, I really hope our combined efforts can raise some awareness for the BADAW project...

Dutchbeat

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 03:18:30 PM »
super cool, Michael!

very original and superb songwriting

i love this

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2012, 03:28:46 PM »
Michael, this is truly awesome, I really love it! You have a gift, so different, so cool. This mix is much better, well done giving everything the space to breathe.

My favourite Pawprint song so far  (and you added quite a bit to the lyrics so I can say that  :D )

hab..