konalavadome

China White - collab with Arkwright

• 41 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 02:18:24 PM »
Great vocal performance (and the rest!). Go for it!

Some interesting instrumentals in this....the faintly oriental tinge of the verses. nice piano bits and guitars great. Vocals a knockout performance as I said. Nice harmonies especially in the 'rock of brown sugar' section...kind of country rock feel there and in the chorus...works

Nicely put together...well thought out. Always get the feeling with you that everything is worked through to the end...no 'oh well i can't be bothered to think how to end this'

Sounds very pro too....an interesting album track, though the chorus is pretty strong...just don't see it as a single..

Good job with Arky's lyric. (Nice lyric Steve, and Paul's done you proud here!)

Really impressed with the work you've put in here....you're clearly not in the 1000 songs a year camp!
Hey VC - thanks for the kind words. Yeah I'd be lucky to get 10 songs done in a year  ;D Can't praise Steve enough for the lyrics - highly recommended collab partner!

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 10:09:59 AM »
Honestly.. its not my type of music. I can appreciate parts of it, I like the twangy guitar part and the little bit of twinkly piano. It may be something that grows on me, but its not something I like on the first couple of listens and would be drawn to listening to again. .

You're obviously a couple of very talented and acomplished musicians, no doubting that. This one is just not to my personal taste.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 11:18:01 AM »
Hi paul, there are parts of this I love. The playing and singing is great, love the melody in the verses esp the chromatic runs. Great harmonies later on.youve put a lot of heart and soul into the singing of this and it comes through. Love the mid break which is off the wall but still fits in beautifully. My only issue is that the whole song defies pigeon holing except the chorus which is straight out of a run of the mill country song. That kind of spoils the great undefined feel of the song. But great singing and playing, you guys have made a great song. I'm not a fan of country music so I won't be disposed to a chorus like this , so its a personal taste thing.
Great work, love it!
Cheers
Jamie

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 01:59:41 PM »

@doodles

Yeah - I get that this is not going to be everyone's cuppa  ;D Appreciate you listening and the feedback!

@Jamie

Thanks for the nice comments Jamie. I can tell from your tunes you're not a country fan but I won't hold it against you  ;D ;D

airbirds

• Busker
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 09:18:11 AM »
Hi Paul

Really liked the Neil Young vocals on this. The psychedelic sound is very creative.

I don't personally like the delay effect on the vocal at the start. The vocal is organic/natural and I felt that the synthesis of the delays lessened the impact of it.

I like the country feel of the chorus and I feel that you managed to make the transition from three quite dissimilar parts quite seamlessly.

Well done.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2015, 01:26:38 AM »
Hi Paul

Really liked the Neil Young vocals on this. The psychedelic sound is very creative.

I don't personally like the delay effect on the vocal at the start. The vocal is organic/natural and I felt that the synthesis of the delays lessened the impact of it.

I like the country feel of the chorus and I feel that you managed to make the transition from three quite dissimilar parts quite seamlessly.

Well done.
Thanks airbirds - I guess a lot of us Canucks have that tinny voice. Oh well worked out for Neil OK I guess  ;D I don't always like echo either but thought I'd give it a try. Just tried to represent Steve's good lyrics as best I could  ;D

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2015, 12:33:25 PM »
WOW! :o What can I say guys...this is brilliant, both lyrically and musically, and
what a subject to boot  :o  the lovely intro sets the mood perfectly  8)
I knew it was about drugs, but I also had to google 'china white'  :-[
You sing this beautifully Paul, and the instrumentation is perfect  :)
If I wasn't listening to, or reading the lyrics, I would not have imagined what this song was about :o
Brilliant collab guys...good luck in SOTM  :) :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2015, 06:46:36 PM »
A good production of this song. The country elements are definitely there kinda supported by a melody that would suit a sea-shanty.  It's probably the squeeze box that is making me think that.  overall, there's a great deal happening that holds my interest here. I'm sure several more listens will make this even more engaging. I think there's a better vocal to be laid down for this song. At times it's the business and at others a little stretched I think. a good song and a fine collaboration.

Paul

MartiMedia

• Solo Gig
    • MartiMedia
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 12:28:35 AM »
Hi Paulski and Arkwright! Wow this brought me in the mood right from the intro!
Love the way China White feels in your interpretation! Great arrangement and
instrumentation and loved the singing! Also like the twists I hear to (I believe)
Paulski style (more musical/broadway show). To me this is a very pleasing collab!
MM
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/tracks
https://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia

Most recent collab (October 2015): Never Mine To Keep - Jambrains and Martimedia
http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/song-reviews/never-mine-to-keep-(jambrains-martimedia-collab)/

My 'best' track (Winning track of this board's 'Dreams' 2015 summer competition):
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

Cherd

• Busker
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 12:54:02 AM »
Aw man I love this song!  Very Noel Gallagher/Neil Young.  I love the sound of it, it has this dark undertone to it on the verses with a country sounding chorus.  Really do love this, I'd buy this as a single.
 I'm going to share it on facebook.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2015, 09:11:28 AM »
How did I miss out on this one for so long!! Absolutely awesome work boys.

Amazing song with an amazing arrangement, commanding lead vocal.

One tiny thing that I think could improve it, is the drums in the chorus which are a little brittle and could be a little looser and have a more organic sound which I think would work well with everything else.

Such a great tune, totally fantastic and song of the month for sure!

empyreantic

• Open Mic
    • empyreantic's SoundCloud
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2015, 11:22:20 AM »
I really liked the intro for this one. The piano ditty is really beautiful and feels nostalgic, for some reason. I'm not a country enthusiast, but this is a very cool song indeed. I was happy to hear the intro part again in the middle of the song - way to go for making that work! :) Some of the transitions are a bit abrupt, but work well enough. For some reason I think adding a sitar (or some other oriental style instrument) would be awesome for the bridge-y part around 2:20. Outro works well. All in all a very artistic and unique song, combining many musical elements - and it turned out very well :)
http://facebook.com/empyreantic
http://soundcloud.com/empyreantic
http://empyreantic.bandcamp.com
http://youtube.com/empyreantic

"Feel Your Lines" - Central (John Frusciante)
"There are things that drift away, like our endless, numbered days..." - Passing Afternoon (Iron & Wine)
"Your eyes are open, your heart is open; your life is open wide" - Elevator (Dot Hacker)

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2015, 08:22:56 PM »
Hi Paul

Saying some new is very difficult when there have already been so many positive comments, it does have a NY vibe to me which is cool and you've done a great job at bringing Arkwrights lyrics to life, I would find working with someone else's lyrics very difficult, so nice one! :)

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2015, 02:55:40 AM »
@crystalsuzy

Hey CS - thanks so much - you always have such kind words for my tunes - much appreciated! I'm really honoured to be in the SOTM with those other great songs!

@Wicked Deeds

thanks Paul - glad it held your interest! BTW that's my lame attempt at harmonica playing not a squeeze box (but I like that who song!) There are parts I want to re-sing when I get time  ;D ;D

@MartiMedia

Cheers for the nice comments MM - Steve's great lyrics got me away from showtunes for a bit but I'll be back to them soon!  ;D ;D

@Cherd

Thanks for the listen and +tive comments. "dark undertone" - yeah Steve has put that vibe in this  ;D

@tboswell

Thank you kind sir - great to get a thumbs up from a talent such as you. I'll check out those brittle drums - prob need some humanizing too.

@empyreantic

cheers for commenting and listening. Happy you found it artistic - that's what we shoot for. A sitar eh? That would be interesting!

@DevyE thanks - not so hard to do when they are really good lyrics!

cheers all - appreciate the feedback - all taken on board!
Paul

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 10:39:10 PM »
What a super song, reminded me so much of some of the stuff the Doobie Brothers did in their hey day when Pat Simmons chose to put his influence on the song rather than Tom Johnson. well written and produced. big thumbs up from me.