konalavadome

(new song) Gauntlet.

• 43 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« on: March 11, 2016, 07:55:11 AM »
Hi everyone..A song about a Medieval Knight...

https://soundcloud.com/knmac/gauntlet-by-knmac

I can hear the hills are calling you away,
you must fight until you bring a brighter day,
clouds are forming and the rain is beating down,
run the gauntlet and you win the golden crown,
fair men call your name and help you on your way,
ride the storm that leads into the dark affray,
lightning strikes and lights the sky above your head,
when the morning comes your foes will all be dead,

Call the Gods to help you ride the waves of fear,
one last battle and the end will soon be near,
send your message on the wings of a dove,
fight the fight until your needed up above,

cross the mountains cross the deserts cross the seas,
strike the heart of all your enemies and fears,
when the smoke of battle fades into the sky,
learned men will join to ask the reason why...

ride the victory march enjoy the spoils of war,
freedom reigns like we've never known before,
fly the the flag and swear allegiance to your crown,
now your army serves to keep the people down..

© KNmac

Best, Kevin :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 08:46:04 AM »
You seem to have been getting a bit prog-rocky lately, which works for me as I love those over the top 70s bands.
Very enjoyable listen and of course the production standard is very high.

Only thought that occurred was the "Call the Gods to help you", which doesn't sound like a medieval knight as they would be believing in just the one god usually. Guess it depends which legends you are evoking.

Think the ending is a bit abrupt. I like the lyrical twist at the end and just think you could musically do something with the new meanings at the end. Maybe a slightly more sinister or corrupted version of the opening material?

Great stuff as always!  :)

Tom.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »
Hi, thanks for listening Tom..just thought call the Gods sounded better than call a God or
 call your God :) :)
anyway this Knight is a multiculturalist so he's got lots of Gods to call on.. ;D ;D
cheers, Kevin :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:45:44 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 03:08:22 PM »
Great stuff, Kevin. Enjoyed the story and the arc of the song. Lovey production and playing and singing and a fine melody and set of lyrics. The ending was a bit abrupt and I was expecting an epic 1970's guitar solo somewhere in there, probably played on a double neck with a 12 string section. Nothing to change from my perspective. I can even see the Roger Dean or Frank Frazetta album cover!

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »
This is a great bit of prog rock kevin. I was back in the 1970's. Loved the medevial intro and chord structure and wow - Sword fights and ..... horses - Awsome  :)

As ever impecable production.

I had the video in my head as well.

Great work

Cheers

John

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 09:20:20 PM »
Arise Sir Kevin,knight of melody.

As ever,a marvelous listen.

Frenchy

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 06:14:01 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Could hear this in a film, it's got that epic vibe to it. I particularily like the melody in the "call of the gods" section.
Nice one !
regards,
frenchy

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 08:03:42 AM »
Cheers guy's..never thought it was prog rock ??? ??? ..but hey, now I'm a prog rock writer.. 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 09:05:15 AM »
Nice work, Kevin  :)

I really enjoyed the story and thought the music fitted it perfectly.

Elements of it reminded me of (Ritchie) Blackmore's Night and messing around in medieval castles with damsels in undress (!) I saw a video on YouTube of them covering "streets of London" live in Paris (I think) with a great drummer from the north east called Malcolm Dick...anyway, I'm rambling...

Really well produced, fab sounds and playing and great vocals too.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 11:48:54 AM »
Have I reviewed any of your songs yet? Probably not. There's a good reason. I am not worthy. The only elements I can criticize are based strictly on personnel preference. May I someday reach your level....

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 01:30:49 PM »
Have I reviewed any of your songs yet? Probably not. There's a good reason. I am not worthy. The only elements I can criticize are based strictly on personnel preference. May I someday reach your level....

My friend..you are worthy, you do not have to be an audiophile or a production expert to give your opinion of a song :) in fact there is an argument that can be made to say that the opinion of music lovers who know nothing about the art of music making is much more valid as they form the majority of the music buying public... :) :)

best, Kevin :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 02:30:01 PM »
Kevin, I understand what you're saying, but the bulk of the music-buying public is not even close to my age range, so I would be providing a minority view. Of course, there seems to be a lot more of the age-enhanced folk in these forums than in that music-buying public, so there is some merit in this environment. And I don't mind offering my opinions.

I was thinking more along the lines of production...you are so good at that! And I want to learn, but I am not overly optimistic about my chances. I see other posters remarking about all kinds of subtle details they are noticing in the various mixes posted, and I listen, but I don't even know what they're talking about.

Lyrics, also, are often inscrutable to me, to the point of being meaningless. Now this song, "Gauntlet"...I can follow the story line pretty well, but I don't get the point of the song. It must be discernible, though, because other people seemed to get it. I have noticed this a lot. I don't get a lot of stuff other people do. So, I don't like to review lyrics unless I'm pretty sure I understand them.

I can say I enjoy the music. I almost always like things in minor keys. I have a tendency to write in minor keys and have to force myself to do anything in a major key. I didn't even notice until someone said to me, "You really like minor keys, don't you?"

Kenny Bones

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 02:38:18 PM »
First of all, love the synths! Especially the moog-ish one at the first bridge.
Not sure what sound you're reaching for, but I get a real Steve Hackett in the late 70's feel to this. Mostly because of the drums sound, synth pads and the type of reverb on the vocals.

Lovely tune :)

Now it's my personal taste, but I would have loved some dryer drums on there. And maybe some snappier drum playing, like some Bill Bruford stuff. But I love Bill Bruford so I'm kinda biased on that regard :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 02:57:50 PM »
Hi Caliamoko
The point of the song is one mans freedom fighter is another mans dictator or as a for instance, the Russians freed Eastern Europe from the Germans only to be just as bad..(well almost) the Knight in question went to battle for freedom then when he became the boss ended up just replacing the last tyrannical king with his own tyranny..and anyway, I don't believe a song needs to have a point..it can just be for songs sake, make no sense but still sound great.. :) :)
lot of successful stuff out there makes no sense at all..

didn't know this was in a minor key till you told me..that's how much I know about music ::) ::)

everything you need to know about production is on the net...everything I know about it came from there..

best, Kevin :) :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 03:06:42 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 03:27:51 PM »
Ah. And it (the point of the song) seems obvious, now that you've told me. And thanks for the encouragement. :)