konalavadome

The Worlds End

• 41 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: October 04, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »
I was in Edinburgh in 1977...and there had just been an awful double murder of two young ladies who were last seen in a pub called The Worlds End on The Royal Mile.

I read about the killings on a poster on the wall of a pub we were having lunch in. When we left, I saw that The Worlds End pub was just across the road. I was 9 years old. I can still see the poster now. I'm 47.

https://soundcloud.com/thefuneralcrasher/the-worlds-end

The Worlds End.

seen things I hoped I'd never see
been where I hoped I'd never be
and when they find what's left of me
they'll know that now I’m free

I'm not giving up or giving in
but they'll inform my next of kin
what kind of world we're living in
and what horrors lie within

i understand…I know the way
that takes you down to gosford bay
where only dreams get washed away
and this is where i’ll stay

there’s one more twist of fate for me
and now it’s much too late for me
just tell them not to wait for me
and please don’t hate for me

i’ve done all i’m ever going to do
and now i know this much is true
you can't escape that rendezvous
…just hope it isn’t you…

i understand…I know the way
that takes you down to gosford bay
where only dreams get washed away
and this is where i’ll stay

when summer comes around again
the streets are filled with clowns again
when laughter haunts this town again
remember how we were back then

and when the years have passed me by
and when there's no tears left to cry
and no-one left to wonder why
this had to be where my world ends

In memory of Helen and Christine.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 08:29:00 PM by PaulAds »
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

johnlondon

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:13:08 AM »
Excellent Paul,

I knew this would make an excellent song when I first saw the lyrics.

Its a tragic haunting story, that must have scared you as a child. I think it would be a good idea to provide some background on this song, not everyone will have read what you originally wrote, when you posted the lyrics in the lyric section.

Last verse still haunting.....
I came in from the wilderness a creature void of forum

Cherd

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:00:36 AM »
A beautiful and heartbreaking song.  Your playing and your voice totally does the song justice as well.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 06:30:45 AM »
Thanks, Cherd...that's very kind of you  :)

Cheers, John...that's a great point  :)

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 08:44:32 AM »
A sad song about a terrible event, I've never tried to write lyrics like this..maybe I should give it a go,

the singing is downbeat which I suppose suites the song, just not too sure myself..my jury's still out on this, :)

nice intro though a little long maybe but your not thinking commercial here..and why would you with such a subject,
A good song mate...difficult subject..

It's sad that such things happen and sadder still that whoever did this is probably out on the streets again with a new identity or languishing in prison costing us a grand a week..

best to you,

Kevin :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 08:55:55 AM »
Very nice work mate, brave songwriting.

Absolutely loved the harmonic move into the chorus, entirely unexpected and really cool! Comes out of it very nicely too. Adds to the downbeat nature of the song by not having any triumphant move of the chords. Beautifully done.
Nice ending too, when the chord movements just stop and fades. Very effective.

I did think the opening went on too long, for nearly a minute with no vocal of other melodic line, I think you could cut some of that.

Difficult do something with a subject like this and you've really made something of it. Well done.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 08:56:28 AM »
Thanks, Kevin...

I really don't have the voice for this kind of thing...So I just recorded multiple takes and sang it as straight as I possibly could. I often thought of having a female sing it, but I thought it might be too creepy.

I had to change key and speed it up a bit just to get it down on "tape"

Ta for listening  :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 09:12:27 AM »
Thanks too, Tom...there is an iPhone app called sessionband and the piano edition had that opening riff...and it was exactly the tune I had in my head.  I must credit them for that part of it.

I really appreciate your comments about how I managed to turn the chord progression around and then flip it back into the verse.

You're right of course about the intro...it is rather long...I suspect that commercial success will continue to elude me :)

Thank you!

empyreantic

• Open Mic
    • empyreantic's SoundCloud
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 11:26:08 AM »
Great story-telling lyrics. The intro is a bit long. The song is a bit slow-moving, if that makes sense. Otherwise beautiful work! :)
http://facebook.com/empyreantic
http://soundcloud.com/empyreantic
http://empyreantic.bandcamp.com
http://youtube.com/empyreantic

"Feel Your Lines" - Central (John Frusciante)
"There are things that drift away, like our endless, numbered days..." - Passing Afternoon (Iron & Wine)
"Your eyes are open, your heart is open; your life is open wide" - Elevator (Dot Hacker)

Michael C

• Busker
    • The Sunny Sundays
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 01:03:07 PM »
I like it a lot too!

Maybe (as already suggested) some backing vocals during the chorus.  Now the chorus doesn't stand out very much.  Then again, I'm not sure it needs to.  Still in doubt about that myself :)

But a great song, without a doubt!!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 07:51:07 PM »
Great set of lyrics here, nice delivery too - always like an honest unprocessed vocal. My first instinct was - those verses with the same word at the end of every line will never work, but I think you pulled it off and they're strong.

I did find it a touch long and could have done with a mournful break along the way - so perhaps consider coming in with the verse at 30" and come back to that intro piano theme later?

Nice work!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 10:48:15 PM »
Hi PaulAds,

a really good song from tragic circumstances. Although I don't think you need to provide any detailed explanation. I heard the song as death being inevitable rather than about the two murders. I liked the long introduction, it would work better without the lyrics being published as you don't know whether its an instrumental or a song. A bit like life you don't know how long it will last.

Keith 

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 10:31:56 AM »
Cheers! Empyreantic and Michael C...I'm chuffed that you liked it :)

Thanks, Adam...tricky thing to write about...I could really have made a horses ass of the lyrics...I agonised over them for weeks. So thank you  :)

And cheers, Keith...I'd be really thrilled to think I've done a decent job of it.

Great and interesting point about the lyrics, Keith...apart from the title, there's only really the one clue given as to the real subject of the song - that being "gosford bay" where Christine's body was found. I'd often considered replacing that line...which would leave it as a song mostly about fate and resignation.

Thank you very much for your thoughts  :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 12:34:52 PM by PaulAds »

TOBB

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 11:43:14 AM »
Hi PaulAds
 Great subject for a song. It must have been difficult to write about. But i Think if I were working on subject like this I would choose different rhyme scheme. You have AAAA. It creates sense of stability which doesn't suit here very much. In fact - it's the most stable scheme of all :-) I would probably try ABBA or even not to rhyme at all like in the last line of the song. this is the kind of instability what I am talking about. It leaves the listener anxious which is great.  I'd like to feel the anxiety little earlier though.

I like the music and your passionate vocal.
best to you

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »
Wow Paul :o you've bitten off quite the subject to write a song about, and IMO, you've done a
stellar job  :o You've told the story with the perfect amount of emotional attachment, and I think your voice suits it fairly well. I did find the intro, as lovely as it was, a little on the long side, but that's OK.
The lyrics seem compelling enough, and I think the song is well produced :)
A brave undertaking for sure :) :)