Across the mountains

• 41 Replies

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 08:45:40 AM »
@montydog

Wow! big compliments; dunno what to say....

I thought the lyrics had a lovely natural, unforced feel to them

that makes me kinda proud, cause i m not native speaking; and; with lyrics; i try not to force myself to write something. so, it s so cool that you mention this "unforced" feel :) Tx

@caco

Are you a real butcher?

...well, no. I know, i should rethink my user name....

with the voice doing non-wordy stuff towards the end

ah, that s great; i love humming.

Sorry for the short review

your review is great; it has everything in it :) Tx

@benjo

Thank you too so much my friend :)

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2014, 07:39:24 AM »
@caco

Are you a real butcher?

...well, no. I know, i should rethink my user name....

Nah i like it! And i like your Lego slaughterman! Made me smile  ;D

dnafe

• Busker
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 04:02:58 PM »
I really like what you've done here...well written, nicely arranged, well recorded, played and sung.

I think the mix is is little lopsided at times in the volume and left / right info but that's easily addressed if you decide to.

Nice journey!

As always I reserve the right to be wrong

TMR Productions

TMR Productions on FaceBook

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2014, 10:19:59 PM »
@caco

Nah i like it! And i like your Lego slaughterman! Made me smile  Grin

:)

good - hope people don t take this stuff too serious; it s bout the music in the end...so glad you liked it.

@dfna

I think the mix is is little lopsided at times in the volume and left / right info but that's easily addressed if you decide to.

you are so right and tx a lot for listening.

I hear these issues now too. I had too much gain input when recording the vox....maybe i ll fix it; but now;  im already up to sth new...so....still; you re right.

tx a lot 4 your reply

'butch'

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 10:50:40 PM »
Another fan of the track here

I didn't "get" the cricket sound FX, which I thought cheapened the track ever so slightly

I am not sure whether it was intentional or not but I was "uncomfortable" with the introduction of some of the instruments in the middle of a bar - probably due to them being faded in

The drums sound great and "thuddy" and give a real strength to the track, supporting that wonderful vocal

I like the "Floydesque" guitar work and arrangement

I think you have pulled the strings off well, with those lovely "dischords"

There are just a few places where I think you have "over played" them where they sound played on a key board rather than authentic strings - if you want to create the illusion of real strings I would say "less is more" and concentrate on the modulation, volume etc.

I really, really, really like the piano motif at the beginning and end

I thought this melody got a little lost within the track itself, which I thought was a shame - I would have carried this throughout the song letting it poke through every now and again as a "hook"

Overall though I thought this was a great song
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
tx 4 your great reply boydie,

I didn't "get" the cricket sound FX

i know, it s soo bad :)

I am not sure whether it was intentional or not but I was "uncomfortable" with the introduction of some of the instruments in the middle of a bar - probably due to them being faded in

i understand, but me, i like that - hihi

if you want to create the illusion of real strings I would say "less is more" and concentrate on the modulation, volume etc.

100 % agreed. I didn t touch these things here. just used the preset settings. Will improve in the future. good ears you have :)

I thought this melody got a little lost within the track itself, which I thought was a shame - I would have carried this throughout the song letting it poke through every now and again as a "hook"

i had different responses about that. Generally, i try not to layer too many lanes, cause it causes mixing issues, so....

Overall though I thought this was a great song

Tx a lot my friend.

I think i found some good melodies here, so, i m happy with it too.

mickeytwonames

• Solo Gig
  • me, my mistress and my dog
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2014, 11:26:12 AM »
Most impressed by the landscape of this song
Mickeytwonames
Practice like you live forever.
Play like you die tonight,

Sunfighter

• Busker
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »
Hi, I like this a lot.  I really the change in dynamics as the songs.  The harmonies at 3mins ish are really effective.

If I'm honest I think it needs a better drum track, to pump up the drama a bit in the odd place.  Nothing manic, but with a bit more variation.

Excellent though.  Nice work fella

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2014, 08:58:13 AM »
@mickeytwonames

Most impressed by the landscape of this song

yeah; cool;i had a hard time panning all the lines, so, good it kinda worked for you.
TX

@Sunfighter

The harmonies at 3mins ish are really effective.

ah, the huming part. Y, it s really simple but adds sth. good.

If I'm honest I think it needs a better drum track

If i m honest, i think so too :)

Thanks for your kind words.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2014, 10:48:12 PM »
Hey there new face :)

I like this too! Lots of comments already picking up on the main points

My main quibble with the production is that the vocal is too dry and mid happy for this style. It needs the 'verb to let it sit in rather in the track, and pushing the mids has given it a slightly microphonic feel that jars. There is an "ahh" second vocal around the 3 minute mark which is worse still for this.

The mix lacks cohesion in general - it sounds so very mutlitracked insofar as many of the sounds aren't gelling as one whole. A big hurdle to overcome in production. The strings, and the guitars all sound like different recordings brought together. It's a bitch to get these things right but a great battle to fight :)

I liked the vocal medlodies and the drama of the piece. And the colour of your chord choices are lovely. I was so taken by the song I didn't really focus on the lyrics, no bad thing to be taken away by all the good going on :)

Lovely introduction to your work and I look forward to hearing more :)

james x
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2014, 01:45:41 AM »
Great atmosphere/mood you've created here. The vocals are especially captivating- good job.
I noticed the strings occasionally go out of chord - a minor distraction - hardly noticeable, otherwise everything flows like a river.
Cheers
Paul

Gwyneth Rose

• Solo Gig
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2014, 02:31:52 PM »
Wow Butch, this blew me away. Your lyric is exquisite, the music is filled with a haunting, yearning desire which totally meshes with your sexy voice (OMG I just love your voice  ;D)
Just want to play it over and over again, fallen in love with this. Well done. Totally awesome!!!
Hugs
Gwyneth
Poet and Lyricist always looking to collaborate. Write mostly out the box lyrics in most genres.
Amateur model, painter, love ceramics and sculpture. Make teddy bears, do belly dancing and love gardening especially roses