konalavadome

just wondering.......

• 15 Replies

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« on: March 26, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »
I was thinking it might be fun if we could pick a currently popular song every couple of days and
review it just as if it was a forum member putting their own song  up for review .
we could make a list of people interested in putting a song forward and just work our way down the list .
It could be a good thing for boosting confidence knowing that even the pros can be criticised and picked apart the same as the amateur writers.

Anyone else think this might be a good idea ?
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:22:56 PM »
that would be so great..... a chance to be savage & critical & mocking all without fear of upsetting someone & getting into trouble!! ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

domj

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »
That is a great idea.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 12:06:02 AM »
But why would it have to be a currenlty "popular song"?
I don't care if it has to be haha I just wondered why  :)
Most things i listen to would fall outside of the "pop" category.
Could it just be any song maybe?
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 01:00:49 AM »
I agree with Schav, we could just pick a recent song (from an album released in the last year at least) and review that. We could go so far as to say we could take it in turns to put one up for review.

Let's be honest, if we review nothing but today's pop our reviews will be a bit scathing and we'll get bored of finding ways to insult it after a couple of weeks :P
Defective Elector

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 09:37:44 AM »
What about unsigned or those signed to small labels..myspace is full of them.

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:39:30 AM »

Well then thats not any different to us putting songs up :P

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »

Well then thats not any different to us putting songs up :P

Well it did cross my mind when i read the original post ,that it`s hard enough getting songs reviewed on here ,never mind from other sources.
I do`nt really keep up to date with current songs,just what comes to the top....but i do listen to Myspace bands...

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 12:05:45 PM »
I think in a way it is a cool idea, to see how the other forum members here would react to a record label release. But it would have to be limited to one or two songs a month

As is becoming clear the forum board is getting very busy with members' songs at the moment, and this should remain the most important aspect of the site
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »
I still want to go ahead with this actually
It's something I'd thought about from time to time, putting up a song by someone else and asking people to review it as though it were a member posting
Defective Elector

hofnerite

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 12:34:09 PM »
Great idea. Picking the song non-subjectively could be a problem though. To randomise it a little why don't we choose say number 35 from the UK singles chart on a particular day of the week, every week. If not the UK singles chart then maybe an independent chart somewhere to get more of a wider cross section of music.

This way we choose a random commercially available song that anyone can review without prejudice.
Also this could be put in a new/different forum area as not to get in the way of user reviews perhaps.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:36:08 PM by hofnerite »

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »
dyou know ive always wanted to be a fearless rock/pop critic slagging off everyone left right & centre & championing others & fooling the gullible public....oh this  sounds to good to be true!! ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Mr.Chainsaw

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 02:14:28 PM »
Let's be honest, if we review nothing but today's pop our reviews will be a bit scathing and we'll get bored of finding ways to insult it after a couple of weeks :P

I guess the challenge would be to say what you like AND hate about a song. Finding something good in something you hate (personal example the drum break down in One Directions That's what makes you beautiful) and vice versa

If we put it in the Bar section then I don't see the harm. Traffic there is low so it should "float" for a good long time, without getting in the way of the reviews proper

Peter
Everything is easier said than done.

Except talking.

That's about the same.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »
I would say any song from any genre from any era, as long as it is music that has been released for sale... even if that
artist isn't well known.
I wouldn't just choose other amateur's like ourselves from myspace or whatever. They may as well come on here and do it themselves  :P
I mean the song could be from myspace... that's not what I mean. But something that has been released whether as a single or on an album.
It would bring some interesting music to the fore which many of of might never have otherwise heard. It will be good to review too I think :)

I would keep it in the bar though. Reviews section is probably too crowded.

Why don't you kick it off Andy? Whilst it was your idea... Start a new threa in the bar and post your first song for us to review. Anyone who wants to join in
need only say so I wreckon and then while it's your baby Andy, maybe you put put a list up of people and what order we should all go in for putting a song up.
Maybe have a time limit as well for how long the first song stays up before the next person posts one. Anyone who wants to join in after it started, need only say and have their name
put at the bottom of the list.

I think it's a really cool idea :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 04:42:51 PM »
Well i think you all get the idea , i think songs from the last 5 years or so , from albums or just singles, but they must already be popular , sold lots so thats saying the public have already approved of them by means of sales. the list is a good idea ,maybe 1 song a week .... see how it goes ,is it much trouble to create its own section ?
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!