Strange Affliction (Collab with Furry61)

• 23 Replies

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« on: March 02, 2019, 02:45:40 PM »
Hi all,

I have a new album in the works and this is a taster. Geoff contacted me out of the blue with some lyrics and suggested a collab. I liked what he wrote so I added a short bridge and came up with the tune and arrangement. I hope you like it and look forward to any comments.

https://soundcloud.com/alan-walker-4/strange-affliction-lyrics-by-geoffrey-mathews

I wonder if the wind,
Should tell of the places,
And times it has seen.
Would it know what to do?
About all the broken hearts,
It has blown through.

He steals through your dreams,
He knows all the secrets,
Of where you have been.
He knows what to do,
About all the emptiness,
You hold on to.

Strange affliction again,
Honey just follow the wind.
Lay your weary head down,
Upon your pillow, your eiderdown.

Sometimes it takes a stranger
To tell you you're drowning
And point out the danger
Of zero and counting

There isn’t much time,
For you to unburden,
What’s on your mind.
He can sense you are lost,
He knows the feeling,
He knows the cost.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 10:01:34 PM »
Great to hear a collab between you two guys. It's a lovely laid back piece of music complimented with some lovely acoustic guitar and fabulous vocals from you @montydog Alan. I read the lyrics several times as I wanted to understand the relationship between the music and the lyrics and the music complements the lyrics perfectly. I don't really understand the meaning of the lyrics though and how it fits in with the title. What is this strange affliction? What has it to do with the wind ? I guess a lot of top songs have multiple meanings so if I'm being particularly dense this evening,  please excuse that  :)

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 11:46:41 AM »
Hi Monty!

Nice song. Reminds me a bit of (late) Fleetwood Mac and Fairport Convention.
But also mellower 90's ballads, the good ones.

Martin

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 12:51:27 PM »
Alan,
Your production just gets better and now complements your lyrics and vocals. All sounding fabulous.
Nice lyrics and I like the melody, chords progression and catchy chorus too.
Lush
 :) :)
neil

songwriter of no repute..

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »
I love the picking intro on this...and the song is really good. It reminds me a little of the Oysterband, if it were more up-tempo, but it certainly has the feel. The chorus is catchy and it´s nice to hear an instrumental break that isn´t guitar-based. The strings add a nice lush feel as the song progresses to the end. Really good.

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 06:01:35 PM »
I really like the lyrical idea - interesting and original perspective. Love the instrumental break - it fits beautifully. You’ve created a lovely folk song, right up my street.  I’m always struck by the warmth of your vocals. Chorus is just lovely and will stick with me I think.

Lovely stuff!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 08:50:42 AM »
Hi Alan - extremely smooth listen! For a strange affliction, I wondered if a little more tension would suit the mood somewhere... but the smoothness does conjure up a weary feeling too.

Eiderdown is a good word - slightly out of the norm which definitely add something I think.

Definitely intriguing which is a good thing.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 10:19:33 AM »
Hello Alan
Really nice listen. Very professional.
When I first saw the title I thought of strange attraction by the cure.

Reading the lyrics threw the cure out of head. Excellent stuff. 

Well done.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Furry61

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 10:26:27 AM »
Alan, thanks so much for this collaboration you did a fantastic job, and thanks to all for the comments.

Hope you are now fully recovered (gonna keep sending you stuff too, sorry!), lol Geoff

Furry61

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 10:36:09 AM »
Great to hear a collab between you two guys. It's a lovely laid back piece of music complimented with some lovely acoustic guitar and fabulous vocals from you @montydog Alan. I read the lyrics several times as I wanted to understand the relationship between the music and the lyrics and the music complements the lyrics perfectly. I don't really understand the meaning of the lyrics though and how it fits in with the title. What is this strange affliction? What has it to do with the wind ? I guess a lot of top songs have multiple meanings so if I'm being particularly dense this evening,  please excuse that  :)

The lyrics are a little abstract/oblique if you will, you just have to feel them.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 11:25:47 PM »
that chorus is a sweet killer..
words and vox just natural fit
at first i thought the verse melody was a little awkward
but as the song developed it became all part of the cunning walker hook plan  !
lovely mix an all..
fine work you fellows
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Dogmax

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 11:41:11 PM »
Its a while since i use the word Wow  8)  but hey great control man nice to flow back into that first verse.

Really great collab guys  8)

Fadow

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 12:11:08 AM »
First impression: Really like the lyrics. The song is very soothing. Just thought something is not right in the verse regarding melody. Andwith the combination of melody and lyrics of the chorus the listener is in for a treat! Just the verse seems not right only if I listen to it long enough then I get used to it.  Sounds kinda choppy but maybe it is just the style of the song. Like it needs a fewmore highlights or versatile regarding the melody...Anyway, that is just me and I might be wrong. Just wrote down what I was thinking after listening to it 3-4 times.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:15:42 AM by Fadow »

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 12:57:54 PM »
Cool picking.

Love how the drums creep in and they sound brilliant especially with the ride cymbal bouncing it along.

Lyrics are good though I must confess I find your lyrics more interesting.

Strings are very well done and sound excellent...although at the end, it sounded as if they were enjoying themselves so much  they played an extra bar 😂

Quite tasty though. Great laconic vocals again. Nice collab!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Cawproductions

• Platinum Album
  • Producer, Engineer & Songwriter
    • AtticVibes Music Library
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 08:25:29 PM »
Guys,

Really nice listen here.

Production is sweet, very tight and great sounding.

As ever those smooth montydog vocals.

Oh, nice strings too.

Top work.