Mixing lead quitars in a busy track

• 7 Replies

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« on: January 12, 2023, 01:26:55 PM »
If anyone has ever wondered how to approach mixing  a lead guitar in a pretty busy song, this might help.

If you imagine the part of the song which has the solo in it as a giant brick wall and you are facing it, the bass frequencies are at the bottom of the wall and the High are at the top, pan hard left and hard right are the edges, this is your soundstage, some of this whole area is not used by the song.

Listen carefully as to what's going on frquency wise, are there lots of cymbals? there might be a ride/ride bell ora half open hi hat, also a driving bass maybe, there is likely to be something like a piano or rhythmn guitars forming a base over which the Lead guitar will sit, you need to imagine how far up the wall, or how far left/right the best place would be to plonk you solo.

Just making the Lead guitar louder than the rest of the track isn't always the best approach, listen again and imagine how far up the gaps in the wall are, that is, where tyhe frequencies are not being used by the other instruments, this might be a good place to pop the Lead guitar.

If you record the Lead guitar using the same amp sim as the rhythmn guitars it just won't pop out, like a Lead gtr should, think about using a different guitar, or a different pickup or a different amp sim.

As a producer I hear a lot of clashing instruments, so I thought I'd pass on this, maybe it's useful.

You can hear an example on @Sebandme 's song "Just the way that are", the lead guitar solo was EQ'd really in the lower mid range, almost in the same frquency range as the french horns elsewhere in the song, as there was a lot going on in the upper frequency range due to the delicate strummed acoustic guitar and the cymbals.

Of course there are a whole bunch of well documented mixing tools/techniques that'll show you where the gaps in the frequencies lie, and how to fill specific gaps, but listening is a good place to start (and finish), try it, and if it doesn't work move it about a bit, you'll know when you get it right, the overall volume doesn't always need to be loads louder, one way is to start way louder and bring it down.

Be careful of reverb and echo of solos, that can compromise the other frequencies, and start washing that part of the song out, use the hi cut knob in the reverb plugin to ensure it does get out of character in the song.

As always I hope this helps, any questions I'd be pleased to help.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 07:49:13 PM »
Excellent advice Rich.

I'm in nowhere as deep,or as skilled as your good self,but even watching the analyser on the EQ plugin and trying to make sure tracks don't fall over themselves,was a real lightbulb moment for me.
I used to listen to a mix,then turn up a track only to find it makes another track invisible. It's not hard to find yourself in a vicious circle.

Frequencies are where it's at man.  8)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 08:20:59 AM »
@Skub - Thanks man, put another way it's really easy to cock up a good song, but very hard to make a radio ready one.

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 09:29:37 AM »
I’m not very technical on these matters but even I can hear what you’ve done with the guitar, Rich, to help it stand out yet keep the whole thing smooth. I’m pretty sure I’d have just made it more ‘toppy’.

Great song btw, deserves to do well!

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 11:35:00 AM »
Do you have any cool tips for getting a good drum sound @cowparsleyman  That clip you posted above has a monster drum sound,especially the kick.

I struggle sometimes to get what 'suits' the track and to make it properly punchy.

Logic has great + kits which allow individual drum adjustment,but I don't delve too deep. I often feel it's a bit wasted on me because I lack direction.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 11:43:09 AM »
@MichaelA - Hi Michael, nice to hear from you, what do mean "even I" your production is really good...I agree @Sebandme is a truly great songwriter...

@Skub - Davy man...of course I'll help...It's probably best if I post a new article just in case someone misses this one...

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 01:18:55 PM »
It's a really clear mix all round...

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 09:38:34 AM »
I’m going to give this kind of thing a go…I’m such a Neanderthal when it comes to mixing and what-have-you!

Cheers, Rich 😀
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter