Do you censor your writing? Why/why not?

• 54 Replies

Arturo Boyero

• Busker
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 05:04:19 AM »
Sometimes I censor myself because the words are too painfull to write. I write about my family a lot, specially about my mother and there are times when I can not put some words on paper, one song I made for her said in a verse "It's not fair for you to stick with what you have when you could have so much better" talking about my dad, my brothers and me. I had the lyrics pretty clear in my mind but took me a good 2 hours to get the courage to write them.

And about censor... maybe because I don't expect people to listen to my songs, and maybe because I'm from Mexico and not a lot of people speak english here (and I write mostly in english) I think I can express myself more freely, but then again, I guess that's the reason my lyrics are in english, so I can write them without second guessing me.

I remember a lyric in a song called SONGS ABOUT NOTHING, it was supossed to say "My parents had this little boy and turned him into a little motherfucker", in the end I couldn't do it so I wrote "and he turned himself into" instead. So yeah, I guess I censor myself sometimes... Songwritting is not always cathartic, sometimes is just painful
Now the light is dimming, but we're glowing from within. We are shiny.

didierleclaire

• Busker
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2012, 06:39:17 AM »
I used to censor my writing, but right now I literally write about anything I want. If you're singing about something you don't want certain people to hear, you can do either of two things; not play the song or use metaphors to illustrate your point.
There's an advantage and a disadvantage to censoring like this. The disadvantage is, obviously, that you'll either have to keep some songs private (I've stopped doing that one) or háve to use metaphors. Metaphors are nice, but if you don't put them in the right place, they'll just distract people or it will seem like you're making a big point out of this little detail that you didn't want you family to know about; it can mess up your message
The advantage is obviously that your lyrics will be more true and more 'you'.
I've written songs about being in love with another girl, while having a girlfriend, about smoking pot while my parents are completely against it (I'm from the Netherlands, it's legal!), about political or social opinions my folks don't agree with, etcetera.
So suit yourself.

p.s. As a singer-songwriter you'll probably create more of an identity and more of a connection with your fanbase if you are just painfully honest about everything

The Corsair

• Platinum Album
  • I'm the latest model Johnny
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 07:22:46 AM »
I used to censor my writing, but right now I literally write about anything I want. If you're singing about something you don't want certain people to hear, you can do either of two things; not play the song or use metaphors to illustrate your point.
There's an advantage and a disadvantage to censoring like this. The disadvantage is, obviously, that you'll either have to keep some songs private (I've stopped doing that one) or háve to use metaphors. Metaphors are nice, but if you don't put them in the right place, they'll just distract people or it will seem like you're making a big point out of this little detail that you didn't want you family to know about; it can mess up your message
The advantage is obviously that your lyrics will be more true and more 'you'.
I've written songs about being in love with another girl, while having a girlfriend, about smoking pot while my parents are completely against it (I'm from the Netherlands, it's legal!), about political or social opinions my folks don't agree with, etcetera.
So suit yourself.

p.s. As a singer-songwriter you'll probably create more of an identity and more of a connection with your fanbase if you are just painfully honest about everything

I could have put it better myself, but it would have used metaphors ;)

But yes, excellently put. It seems to hit what I've been trying to get at in my last few posts in this thread.
Defective Elector

djohnson1974

• Busker
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2012, 11:16:42 PM »
I have so many ideas that I would love to write songs about centrered around other girls I know, have had crushes on, work with etc but really cannot consign them to media as my wife would be mortified.  I have thought about creating a third party character and writing from their point of view in order to be able to justify the song topics but haven't gotten round to doing that yet.

I've also written a song about my boss which I daren't go public with in case he gets to hear it and it gets me in hot water!  It's a tongue in cheek song called "eat the boss!" and I really like it

Great topic by the way  :)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2012, 12:28:18 AM »
You can write songs about other women without your partner ever knowing.
After all, just like novelists, we are story tellers. I'm sure that ( an author ) doesn't really commit 17
bloodthirsty murders and drink the blood of virgins for real even though the story is written in the first person.
You can write about anything you want :)

Although just in case my partner reads this, I NEVER do this myself   ;D
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

TheAmericaCentury

• Busker
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 12:01:23 PM »
I don't ever censor myself. I think its the fastest route to writers-block. I try and get out of the way of whatever is rolling out at the time. I save it, leave it for a week or so, then go back to it (unless I know right then and there, which I sometimes feel, that it should be shown to people). I might edit it later, or keep the lyric/song in my journal and not let anyone see it.

I also never try and write a song. But thats just me. If it is meant to be, its meant to be. I hate forcing things. A couple of bits of advice I remember:

1. Michael Jackson: get out of the way of the music. Dont write the music. Let the music write itself.

2. Freddie Mercury: Never force it. If it works, it will flow. If it doesnt, drop it.

3. Mutt Lange: Dont be precious. Dont be afraid to delete what you have and start over. Again, if its meant to be, it is meant to be. It will come around again. 

JazzyRoy

• Busker
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:51 AM »
I never censor. In my opinion this is my way of free expression and that is the sense of art.
"Play that funky music white boyy!" - James Brown

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 11:15:03 AM »
Brutal honesty is the best way to connect with your audience. It is imperative that they believe you and who would believe someone who hedges around issues?

Having said that, I tend to write two distinct styles of lyric. The fictional story, so there is no censure involved and I tend to be quite narrative with these to get the point across accurately and the second is a more personal lyric. Most often these are too narrow to appeal to a wider audience so I tend to leave some ambiguity in them to allow people to relate their own personal experiences to the lyric even though they may be quite removed from mine. In these cases I think it has a censorship effect though not actually set out as such.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:16:41 AM by seriousfun »

Stephen Palmer

• Open Mic
  • Music for music's sake
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 09:28:09 AM »
Ambiguity is a really useful tool in lyric writing. It allows the listener the illusion of creating their own meaning, which greatly increases their involvement with a song.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »
Ambiguity is a really useful tool in lyric writing. It allows the listener the illusion of creating their own meaning, which greatly increases their involvement with a song.

I am not sure I agree with this

Perhaps if very carefully calculated and thought through it could work but I do think many people kid themselves about lyrics - thinking that ambiguity is a demontration of "cleverness"

I accept that it could be dependent on genre but in my experience the songs that have a clear meaning are the ones that illicit the most involvement/emotional connection

The lyric skill comes in getting this message across in a new and interesting way - but IMHO the most important thing is to get the message/emotion of the song across

There are surely good and bad examples of both approaches so I am not presenting this as a hard and fast rule but I would not agree that "ambiguity" greatly increases involvement with a song as for evey person that creates their own meaning there could be another 10 thinking - "what the hell was that all about"

A lyric with a key message/emotion can achieve the same "connection" and allow listeners to create their own meaning by "relating" to the message - rather than making one up for themselves

Just my (mischevious) $0.02 to help the discussion  ;)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Calum Carlyle

• Busker
    • Calum Carlyle Music
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2013, 03:01:28 PM »
ambiguity doesn't necessarily increase the appeal, it can just increase the blandness, compared with putting some specific details in.

However, yes, with a little bit of thought (not necessarily a lot) ambiguity can really help the appeal. I used to know one songwriter who always wrote her lyrics in a way that could be interpreted as some sort of love song, even when the song might "really" be about death, or friendship, or conservation, or the rain, or religion. She felt that her songs should always have at least two possible levels of meaning in that sense. It works well in my view, though i think as you say it depends on each song, sometimes they are little vignettes just about one thing and whatever emotions are connected to that one thing.

re: censorship, well, writing is censorship. You basically cut out everything until you are down to the exact song, finished into the way you want it to be. It's not really "censorship" in the normally understood sense though, but it does bear remembering (eg: i don't like rhymes that i find trite (moon/june/spoon etc) so i would "censor" them out of my writing, if i found myself doing them inadvertently (by writing something better for those lines).

But in the sense we're discussing (ie: not putting people's names in, not saying really really how we feel or think, and so on) then no, i no longer do that. Like most people (i imagine!) i started off writing with a conscious view of how people would put themselves into the songs, parents, friends, etc. I was careful not to refer to them in a song unless it was specific (a love song to my girlfriend when i was 17 deliberately included her name for example, and when my dad died, i wrote a song with his name as the title).

But then people would still ask me if such and such song was about them, or about someone else (usually they'd only be interested when they thought it was about them, though!), and it never was! So i just thought well, i can just say what i like then, and so i did.

It was really making me nervous actually, not being able to say what i felt in my songs, and not being able to be adventurous either! For me it was mainly things like, i want to write a song with a murder in it, or maybe a song about two timing somebody or any of a million other things that wouldn't actually be happening to me literally at the time. Once i realised it was okay to write about all that stuff it was very liberating.

Nobody really listens to my songs nowadays, and i don't play live any more so it's academic now. My songs go on the internet and people can take them as they find them, i know by now that other people write whatever they like, so why not me? I wish i'd learned that lesson earlier, for sure.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 03:06:11 PM by Calum Carlyle »
tons of eclectic music for you here -> www.calumcarlyle.co.uk

Stephen Palmer

• Open Mic
  • Music for music's sake
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 09:16:49 AM »
Definitely, ambiguous and clear both have advantages. I was just saying that you can get under peoples' skin by letting them create their own meanings to a song - having given them a loose framework in the first place.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2013, 10:57:48 PM »
It depends what you mean by censor...
I wrote a song called 'reasons why I hate California' so I think that classes as not censoring my songs :) I think the differences is I would never write to deliberately hurt or offend anyone EVER and I try to find humour in all my songs, or at least something to make people smile, so I try not to sugar coat my lyrics- I mean if your going to say something then say it. Also, I've never sworn in my lyrics so, I possibly accidentally offended the population of an American state but at least my language is clean ;D
I think showing your grandad your songs is different, so it's probably polite to censor them around him, but when writing about relationships just do a Taylor swift and let it ALL out, their name and everything- it might make it awkward next time you see them but it never did Taylor any harm...(NOTHING to do with the fact that I'm really nosey)  :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

lauriewood95

• Busker
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2013, 07:43:24 PM »
I censor myself very little, but I still do. There are some things and thoughts I want to stay private.

But if I have a topic I desperately want to write a song about - but don't want anybody to hear it - I'll just write it and play it to myself. Simples.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:46:29 PM by lauriewood95 »

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2013, 09:45:52 PM »
I you never censored yourself at all you'd be like Mr Angry meets Victor Meldrew with tourets :-)
GTB
GTB