konalavadome

Complete Re-Write to a previously submitted lyric.

• 11 Replies

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« on: May 27, 2016, 10:05:06 PM »
                          NO PARTICULAR BURDEN TO BEAR

VERSE 1.  
He's got no particular Burden to bear,
No secrets to keep, no confessions to share.
He don’t pretend to be young, He don’t color his hair.
And you’ll never catch him in his wife’s underwear.

Refrain/Chorus
He's got no particular burden to bear and
He never expected life...  to be easy.  
His Daddy taught him life would not be easy.    

VERSE 2.
His woman’s complaining she got nothing to wear.
She wants something pretty she can put in her hair.
If he don’t give her money, she’ll holler and swear.
His buddies say he oughta  just.  .  . grow a pair.

Refrain/Chorus 2
He appreciate his buddys' advice, and
it sounds real good, but life just ain’t that easy.  

VERSE 3:
He's got no particular burden to bear...
He might be gainin some weight might be losin some hair.
He's got no reason to hurry,  cause he's goin nowhere,
and time is the one thing he's got plenty to spare.                                                                                                                                                                                                              
Refrain/Chorus 3
He's got no particular burden to bear and
He always knew that life... Would not be easy.  

VERSE 4.
He's got no particular burden to bear.
He's on the far side of fifty, but he don't seem to care.
His income is small, but his meals have been square.  
What happens tomorrow’s still up in the air.

Refrain/Chorus 4
He's got no particular burden to bear, and
But he don't don’t mind... Cause life should not be easy.  
he's always known that life would not be easy.    

BRIDGE TO OUT.
He's got no particular burden to bear,
and he always knew that life would not be easy.  
His Daddy taught him life would not be easy.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:29:32 PM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 01:53:51 AM »
I don't remember seeing an earlier version of this, but I kinda like this one. The rhythms are inconsistent, but I know that can be dealt with in the melody, so I won't address that. I do have a comment or two, though.

1. The Refrain/Chorus 1, 2 & 3, line 2:
You can’t expect for life...  to be easy.

That second line doesn't sound right to me. I can't say I've ever heard anyone say "You can't expect for [something]". I recommend trying something like, "You can't expect your life..." or just "You can't expect life...", depending on how the melody works with the rhythm.

2. I can't relate to verse 2, as my life is nothing like that and it sounds like a dysfunctional relationship to me. I'm not a fan of complaining about one's spouse, and it doesn't appeal to me in songs, either. But I know it is likely to appeal to others, so disregard me here. I think the wording and rhymes in that verse work well.

That's all I have to say about that. The rest works fine for me. Other than verse 2, I like the message quite a bit, and I'm interested in hearing it set to music.

Vicki

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »
This is brilliant. It just all works on a really obvious and natural level. The verses flow so easily as a 'read' and I think the chorus/refrain allows a nice possible change in rhythm and and rhyming scheme. I dunno how you managed to pull it off but keeping the same rhyme sounds throughout the verse is really REALLY clever lyric writing. It never gets old and here's a familiar yet new feel to each of the verses. The whole 'life isn't easy but basically get on with it' theme is so relateable too. The first verse was my favourite; instantly pulled me in as well as communicating the theme of the song straight off. There's also nice wee hints of humour such as the wifes underwear, dying hair, gaining weight, losing hair etc. It's really well crafted in that it mixes observational humour with a matter-of-fact view of getting older. This could be really good when put to music - I imagine a folksy feel with acoustic guitar.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 10:03:41 PM »
Thank you sing4me and Vicki:  

I appreciate both critiques.  Thanks for the advice and the encouragement.  

The "rhymes with bear" rhyme scheme got REALLY hard toward the end of the song.  There is a limited number of such rhymes.  Part of the reason I ended up with verse 2 as it is written is that I desperately needed "swear" and "pair" to finish out the song.  That was the last verse I wrote, even though it's second in the sequence.  

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 12:44:02 AM »
Hi Verlon

Apart from Verse 2, I liked this a lot.
Verse 2 reinforces an old stereotype of a man providing money and things to a woman (and a woman expecting this). I'd sugg rewriting that one.

I really liked this line:

No reason to hurry,  cause I’m goin nowhere,

and the hook is solid even if it is hard to rhyme :)
Paul

Vintage54

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 12:13:08 AM »

Hi Verlon,
      I can relate to this, but i guess that's because you and i are connected by age. It sounds like your  feet are planted on solid ground, like you're in a good place. Wisdom is the word i guess, takes it's time don't you think? Verses 3 and 4 are just great, right up my ancient street. This to me is as positive as life can get, and it gets me to the mountain top.

Thanks old bean, for sharing.
                                   Vintage54

polite_THINGS

• Busker
    • Polite Things Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 12:27:54 AM »
Im not against verse 2 if its based on life experience, thats something someone could relate to because while some women dont rely on their husbands for money, some of them do; and they are painted in a negative light here.
   It sounds like country music to me, but i think i see where youre goin with this. Its great
the biggest cartoon is reality

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 05:14:36 PM »
Im not against verse 2 if its based on life experience, thats something someone could relate to because while some women dont rely on their husbands for money, some of them do; and they are painted in a negative light here.
   It sounds like country music to me, but i think i see where youre goin with this. Its great

Thank you.  It is "progressive country" musically.  All I have is a vocal melody right now... but it's definitely what is currently considered "country," musically.  Wouldn't have been considered musically "country" twenty years ago, but would be now.  Our protagonist/narrator would likely consider it "new country."  Different from the country music he grew up with.

My (imagined) protagonist/narrator as I wrote this song is a rural redneck.  "Redneck" is not an insult.  It describes someone who works outside in a shirt without a collar.  Could be a farm hand, or a construction worker (both of which I have been myself.)  

In this modern world, it is likely that the average rural redneck has a wife who works.  One income families are at least as rare in middle class rural America as they are in urban America.  

AND.... in rural America, there is also a reasonably good chance that she makes more money than he does.  But culturally, he still has a larger say about how money (particularly discretionary income) is spent than she does.  In today's rural America, they are extremely likely to be marginally religious, and (even when the woman IS in charge) they will feel it necessary to make a pretense of the man being in charge "as God intended."  

And... the lyric doesn't make it clear, but there is a near certainty that she is going to end up the "nice things" that they are contentious about whether he buys them for her or not.  But she wants HIM to buy them for her. . . or at least support her purchase of them.  In rural America (and in my part of urban America) that isn't unusual.  The lyric (as I wrote it) did not INTEND to portray anyone in a "negative light."  If anything, the average rural American housewife is even more admirable than her husband, because she (on average) works two jobs.  (One at home and one that produces income.)   

I'm not making a commentary on whether any of that is fair or not.... just putting my narrator/protagonist into a situation I have often seen and that fairly and respectfully defines this "rural redneck's" world and culture (which includes his wife's world and culture.)  I intended for the lyric to show my fondness for this particular cultural group.  Perhaps it failed to do that.  

Frankly, I was surprised anyone felt this was dysfunctional.  It's a very real portrayal of an existing culture.   The lyric might not communicate it well enough, but this was about people who really do exist and are due a great deal of respect.  It's a difficult life, and they live it well.      

All that isn't really in response to your post.  Your post just gave me a chance to express it after giving serious thought to the other posts.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 05:34:05 PM by hardtwistmusic »

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 05:52:28 PM »
Hi Verlon

Thought I'd explain why verse 2 doesn't work for me.
Firstly though, I would point out that when I read a lyric, I AM the protagonist! Maybe I'm alone in doing this, but I step into the role of the singer.
So now I'm singing:
 "My woman" - I have never felt a woman "belonged" to me - I can't connect to someone saying this so I step out of the song/role momentarily
Then I say:
"She wants something pretty she can put in her hair" - to me this denigrates women by suggesting they are superficial and only care about how they look.
Then:
"If I don’t give her money, she’ll holler and swear" - again demeaning to women - now they are demanding and childish.

I understand that you have written this to be sth that someone from a particular male culture would say, but if other readers/listeners put themselves in the song as the singer like I do, they may be as uncomfortable as I would be singing these words. I don't think the lyric is dysfunctional at all - I just want to be able to connect to the singer more fully.

POST-EDIT - Maybe changing the POV to "he" instead of "I" would work for the squeamish ppl like me :)

cheers
Paul
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 05:55:27 PM by Paulski »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 09:03:28 PM »
Hi Verlon

POST-EDIT - Maybe changing the POV to "he" instead of "I" would work for the squeamish ppl like me :)

cheers
Paul

WOW.... THAT is a good idea.  Separate the subject from the narrator.  Perfect.  Thank you.  It's why I love this forum.  I'll go do that right now.

polite_THINGS

• Busker
    • Polite Things Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 03:14:35 AM »
To whomever wrote this, because im not going to quote it due to its length; im new to forum etiquette and i imagine thats frowned upon.

I seriously appreciate your insightful and detailed response to my feedback. Its cool to so tangibly experience someone who considers so deeply about society and things like that. Fantastic. With deep thoughts like that its no wonder you lean towards poetic arts.
the biggest cartoon is reality

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 03:24:00 PM »
To whomever wrote this, because im not going to quote it due to its length; im new to forum etiquette and i imagine thats frowned upon.

I seriously appreciate your insightful and detailed response to my feedback. Its cool to so tangibly experience someone who considers so deeply about society and things like that. Fantastic. With deep thoughts like that its no wonder you lean towards poetic arts.

What a nice thing to think and say.  Thank you.