konalavadome

What If My Heart Is Wrong? - featuring J. McMichael lyrics

• 13 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: September 05, 2016, 06:43:29 PM »
Hi guys
Fell in love with Joey's lyrics - especially the hook :) Hope I haven't done them an injustice with my 6/8 music. Comments welcome - good or bad (sorry I mean "constructive" :))
Thanks in advance
Paul

https://soundcloud.com/paulcanuck/what-if-my-heart-is-wrong

What If My Heart Is Wrong?

Lyrics - Copyright 2016 ~ J. W. McMichael
Music - Paul Canuck

My heart is telling me
We're gonna find our love again
I can hear an inner voice
Crying like a spirit in the wind
Telling me everything's all right
Even though we don't see eye to eye

My heart is saying you're still the one
But what if my heart is wrong?

I can still remember the time
When I would look into your eyes
And I could see the fire inside
As we danced to the rhythm of the night
My heart has promised our love will survive
But is it honest or telling lies?

I'd cross Antarctica, crawl through driving snow
If that's what it takes to save our love - let me know..

My heart keeps telling me
We've gotta find that love again
Can't can hear an inner voice
Crying out like a spirit in the wind?

What if my heart is wrong?

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 09:23:18 PM »
There isn't really much to say...for me, at least. I like the way you use the melody and accompaniment to move the lyrics where they need to be in my ears. I always like piano. :)

The lyric isn't my favorite, but I'm a little biased against "lost love" songs. I do appreciate the creative hook. I'm always impressed when someone comes up with something new. I haven't heard the phrase, "what if my heart is wrong" before, so I see why that appealed to you.

Another nice one from Paulski! Oh, and McMichael.

Vicki

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 11:56:29 AM »
Paul,

Technically, this is well up to your usual stellar standards and the vocal is lovely and rich. I also liked the piano playing the backing vocals - you do BVs very well.

I have to say that I don't think this is a good marriage of lyrics and melody. It's origins as coming from 2 writers is apparent to me, I'm afraid. Parts sound unnatural and forced and I don't think either the lyrics or the melody were very special. Despite your formidable skills as a singer,musician and arranger I don't think this works.

I really hate to be negative because as you must know, I love virtually everything you do. I try and be honest in my reviews and I always review everything I listen to even if I don't like it so apologies.

M

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 07:07:03 PM »
Paul,

I think Monty is right.

You've tried to merge a good tune with a good set of lyrics....but they don't mix well.

I like the tune I think it has a lot of potential.

Sorry to be so negative, as I love all the other stuff that you posted to date.

Sandeep

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 10:59:49 AM »
Man,tough crowd Paul.  :D

Very skillfully put together and realised with some lovely playing and singing.On this you sound like a cross between a crooner and Meatloaf,yet still preserving your own distinctive style.

I can see what the others mean about the lyrics being separate from the song,but I think it works well. It's complex,but for me it makes me come back for another listen,just to hear what I missed the other times. I couldn't begin to write a song like this,cool stuff going on.  8)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:12:56 AM »
I liked this too.

Some real craft has gone into it and there are moments of genius in there. A tiny bit clunky in places perhaps...but that adds to its considerable charm.

I love when anyone writes outside the mainstream...there's more than enough formulaic stuff out there to go around..hats off to Paul and Mister McMichael.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

AnitaFox

• Open Mic
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 06:04:30 PM »
Hi,

I really like the piano and tone of the song.  It is, for me, a little slow at times but others than that I think it's great. 
Lovely voice too :-)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 06:10:12 PM »
Hi Paul, I must say that I really like this. I think the 6/8 timing works very well. I can't see any problems with the lyrics fitting the melody although I guess it took you a few practices to get it right  :). The harmonies are great, soaring. I love the little piano break towards the end. What I really think is great about your songs is that as well as being a maestero at your genre, you always try something different. It's great to see somebody pushing boundaries. Like Mr Ads says, there's plenty of mainstream stuff out there and I love to listen to something that's a bit different. Very well done  :)

John

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 06:49:30 PM »
Hey there Paul......while I listen, gotta say that this is really nice. Another classically styled piece, and classically performed in the traditional Pop/Rock genre. Nice performance, as always.
Good song, man.......like the lyrics, too  ;)

-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »
A fab ballad paul  & your voice sounds great...you certainly know how to write them ...& arrange them aswell !
 I wasnt so keen on the brian may style guitar parts tho but thats just my taste

the first time I heard it something didnt sound quite right ..tho by the 2nd & 3rd time id forgotten it & just enjoyed  it ...& I think thats what the others are mentioning
but I dont think theres a mismatch between the lyrics & the music ...i think its the chorus not fitting so well with the verse...i think the verse  is stronger ( im talking music not lyrics)
anyway ive got to admire you aiming big with these type of songs  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 04:03:41 PM »
Hey! Mixed reactions on this one!
Oh well, we can't all have impeccable taste can we ;D ;D

@CaliaMoko
Thanks Vicki. When I googled that hook line - I couldn't believe no-one had used it. Cheers for listening and commenting.

@montydog

Hi Alan - no need to apologize - I appreciate negative feedback as much as positive  ;D. I think it's the syncopation of the verse lyric that makes it a little off-putting for some. My bad for setting Joey's 4/4 lyric to 6/8 time :). Thanks for the listen and honest review! (and for the nice words about my vocals :))

@Movin Flavour

Cheer Sandeep - see note above - guess this is not everyone's cuppa :) Thanks for commenting!

@skub

Thanks scub - glad it worked for you.

@PaulAds

Cheers Paul and thanks for the kind comments. Yeah the clunky parts are timing issue resulting from not using a tick track. I wanted it to be organic - but there are spots that need fixing still.

@AnitaFox

Thank you Anita!

@pompeyjazz

Cheers John - yep practiced the vocals quite a bit - glad you could tell. Appreciate the remarks on the harmonies and the "different" comment.

@IronKnee

Thanks Tom - I'll take "classically styled" as a comment any day!

@tinam

Cheers Tina - I only wish I could play like brian may  ;D Yeah - aim big and try not to fall short. Sometimes it works, sometimes not :) Thanks for commenting!

retrononomusic

• Solo Gig
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 11:13:05 PM »
Dude you know how to sing...  :o

I can't stop thinking about hearing you singing some tunes of Jackson Browne.

You shall go on, you have my permission  ;D

Great tune, one more.

Nono.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 04:20:39 PM »
I really loved this Paul. You have such a showtime, filmtrack feel to your songs and I really like it. For me the guitar really stood out, and brought an extra lift to the arrangement. The chorus is great and you sing with abandon, really belting out performances that nail what you want to say. Great work!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »
retrononomusic and MartynRich

thanks so much guys for your kind reviews!
means a lot coming from your talented selves :)

Best
Paul