konalavadome

Old farts glory days

• 3 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« on: September 16, 2014, 09:55:04 AM »
"In my teenage band days back in the 70s us guitarists and singers ruled the roost. The bass player was whoever was worst at playing rhythm guitar and the drummer was someone who wasn't even one of your friends but just happened to have a drum kit. "
Had me in stitches ;D ;D
Neil

Lol, hi Neil, I played bass in a band in my teens, that says it all! ;)
Jamie

Not to turn this into the bar forum, but just had to comment:
In my day the evolutionary progression was:

roadee -> drummer -> bassist -> guitarist -> keyboards

but since I started laying drum/bass/guitar tracks down and carrying my own equipment, I've come to appreciate the "lower tiers" a bit more ;D ;D

Just in case we want to continue the conversation without bumping my song back up undeservedly.

Jamie - we all have to start somewhere mate.

Paulski - you had roadies?

My first band was yours truly on vocals and rhythm guitar. My best mate Henry bought a secondhand  bass but was pretty well tone deaf so had to be told where and when to put his fingers and pluck. (We practised a lot)
Luckily another good mate was not at all bad lead guitarist so at least one of us knew what he was doing. As I said before, the drummer wasn't even a mate of ours, and we didn't even really like him but he did have a drumkit.
Our 'set' was a bizarre mixed bag of stuff and I can't remember all the songs but here's an example of a few...
'Keith Don't Go' - Nils Lofgren
'Cocaine' - JJ Cale
'Panic in Detroit' - David Bowie
'Crazy Baldhead' - Bob Marley
'Gimme Three Steps' - Lynyrd Skynyd
'Willie & The Hand Jive - Eric Clapton did it on 461 Ocean Boulevard
'Nobody Knows you When You're Down and Out' - Again Clapton did a cover
and not forgetting 'Anarchy in The UK' - Sex Pistols

'Smoke on the Water' was also a big fave for jam sessions!

This should date it pretty well!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:42:58 AM »
I did the same thing with my best mate!

I was already in a band and we needed a bassist with two weeks to go before our next gig.

He was completely tone deaf so I showed him where to put his fingers and when to play and that was it.

We got the songs down in a frenzied blur of rehearsing/practising every day for those 14 days.

Ha! Great fun.

Dutchbeat

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 05:57:57 PM »
haha, i always was the keyboard player, you know, the one who didn't know to rock

you would be so lucky just to be allowed to be allowed in to a band, back then

and during playing, practice and gigs, the guitar, bass and drums usually were so loud, it didn't matter what you played on the keys anyway

those were the days ;D ;D ;D ;D

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 07:22:06 PM »
Old fart
I resemble that remark!
Actually I prefer the term "geezer" haha
And our roadie was an (unpaid) friend who liked to say he was "with the band" so he could pick up girls - didn't work too well as I recall..
We called ourselves "Yellow Pelical Band" and then "Apterix" - God knows why and I played a Hohner pianette. Have a set list somewhere - must dig it up for a laugh.