Musicxray

• 41 Replies

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2017, 04:24:13 PM »
The 'fans' are ordinary listeners, i suspect mainly from non 1st world countries judging by their emails , the guy that contacted me is from Turkey....probably the small amounts of money they receive , add up and do a lot more good than in the UK ...The fan element , is questionable, but hey they've had a listen and its given me a fan conversion rate of 88%..this might help the industry pro's make a decision to go with it....Personally i'm not too sure it will be picked up. based on the amount of passes happening all the time....but it's telling me something about the site.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2017, 11:11:09 AM »
Ok ,so the final outcome. Something i've learnt ,it takes a while to get there.
The fan reviews were good. The 5 professionals less so.

Obviously it's in the eye(or ear) of the beholder, but you put it out there and have to accept what comes back!
Basically its not hit worthy, but i knew this. I think it could be re-done and with some changes made a lot more commercial, but thats not where my head was.

This is part of the email i had.

Dear Artist,

The music industry professional has listened to your song. The song you submitted Starlight_(Master) (located here) has been listened to by the industry professional Max Gousse. You submitted to the opportunity located here

Unfortunately, while your song was considered for this opportunity, it has
not been selected

While the industry professional did not choose your song for this opportunity, they did leave you the following message in regards to your submission:

"cool vibe just not what I'm currently seeking. Thanks for sending!"

We want you to experience the full value of Music Xray, and having the Industry Professional hear your song is just part of the process. It can take artists multiple submissions to secure a deal, so don't get too discouraged.

This guy ,did A&R on 2 of Beyonce's albums etc , is it worth spending £15 , ...so to have a comment from him ? maybe ,maybe not .

I think if you have good enough material , and are willing to pay for multiple submissions, you stand a chance of finding the right person eventually to take a song on. Will i do this, not sure. :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2017, 12:47:21 PM »
This guy ,did A&R on 2 of Beyonce's albums etc , is it worth spending £15

I would personally say that was £15 well spent

I think it is encouraging feedback and although the chances are infinitely small - what if your song just happened to be EXACTLY what he WAS looking for at that time

YOU NEED TO BE IN IT TO WIN IT

Every "no" is a step closer to a "yes"  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »
This guy ,did A&R on 2 of Beyonce's albums etc , is it worth spending £15

I would personally say that was £15 well spent

I think it is encouraging feedback and although the chances are infinitely small - what if your song just happened to be EXACTLY what he WAS looking for at that time

YOU NEED TO BE IN IT TO WIN IT

Every "no" is a step closer to a "yes"  ;D

Yes i agree, if nothing else, you get your name out there. Maybe in the future ,they might remember you for another project ..it can happen .

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2017, 03:48:31 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the appeal of these sites. You pay to submit music which they reserve the right to pitch or not to the opportunity? In other words, the business model relies on huge numbers of hopefuls forking out for each piece they want to place...

Why not pitch direct to a publisher? If they take it on, there's no guarantee it will be placed, but at least it's part of a collection that receives daily attention from lots of different music supervisors/ tv producers etc. And you don't have to pay up front. If they think they can sell it, you're in, minus their 50% when they place it of course. Still seems like a safer deal to me.

Agree...these kind of sites *are* just money making outfits. Especially if the CEO feels the need to make videos explaining they are not just a money making outfit  ;D

I would also be wary of 'fans' on such sites. I often suspect they are just paid to leave nice comments so you feel like you are getting value even while being rejected....
Find me a user of musicxray that *didnt* get good feedback from at least 1 'listener'....

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2017, 06:33:53 PM »
I'm fairly sceptical about these pay for pitching sites but realise there are some benefits and the possibility of a very, VERY, long shot.

The bottom line in all of it is that the music has to stand on its own 2 feet. If it's not on fleek it's simply £15 wasted. I'm kinda curious why you submitted when you said you knew the song wasn't hit worthy?

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2017, 06:46:40 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the appeal of these sites. You pay to submit music which they reserve the right to pitch or not to the opportunity? In other words, the business model relies on huge numbers of hopefuls forking out for each piece they want to place...

Why not pitch direct to a publisher? If they take it on, there's no guarantee it will be placed, but at least it's part of a collection that receives daily attention from lots of different music supervisors/ tv producers etc. And you don't have to pay up front. If they think they can sell it, you're in, minus their 50% when they place it of course. Still seems like a safer deal to me.

Agree...these kind of sites *are* just money making outfits. Especially if the CEO feels the need to make videos explaining they are not just a money making outfit  ;D

I would also be wary of 'fans' on such sites. I often suspect they are just paid to leave nice comments so you feel like you are getting value even while being rejected....
Find me a user of musicxray that *didnt* get good feedback from at least 1 'listener'....

Fans don't leave comments ,just a rating, i would imagine getting zero good feedback is impossible on any platform including this one, as long as the song is fairly good?. I don't accept they are 'just' money making sites , but no doubt they make a few an easy living.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2017, 06:59:54 PM »
I'm fairly sceptical about these pay for pitching sites but realise there are some benefits and the possibility of a very, VERY, long shot.

The bottom line in all of it is that the music has to stand on its own 2 feet. If it's not on fleek it's simply £15 wasted. I'm kinda curious why you submitted when you said you knew the song wasn't hit worthy?

I'm fairly sceptical,that's why i choose a 'pay as you go' site and not an annual fee .The requests are not all about top 40 songs, some want songs for band development etc, so it's not a very, very long shot.

It's also not  a case of, if the songs amazing it will be picked up by the original poster...they have particular things in mind for particular projects.

As to the song not being hit worthy, he didn't request a 'hit' song ,just EDM songs, can't quite remember the exact requirements, but i thought i had something that fitted. I wanted to test them out and think £15 is a small amount to risk.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2017, 07:08:59 PM »
Makes sense now - I thought you were just going for a very long shot1

montecristo

• Busker
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2017, 12:39:36 PM »
Once upon a time...unscrupulous photographers would charge young actors for head shots with
 the promise of certain success. Music X-Ray is much the same. Worthwhile for some objective feedback but...look at their success stories....Most are Dietmar Cozen from Oklahoma who signed a single song contract with Steel Yadollah Publishing in Nashville. Have they ever landed a track by an unknown writer with a major artist? What % of accepted submissions have made a profit? How many tracks have Beyoncé, Rihanna, Ryan Adams, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran ever recorded (as per the briefs)? My guess is none so I would say focus on being great and sharing your music directly with people you respect. The 'A&R professionals' are 'People Like Us'......Nothing more, nothing less.....

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2017, 01:54:46 PM »
Once upon a time...unscrupulous photographers would charge young actors for head shots with
 the promise of certain success. Music X-Ray is much the same. Worthwhile for some objective feedback but...look at their success stories....Most are Dietmar Cozen from Oklahoma who signed a single song contract with Steel Yadollah Publishing in Nashville. Have they ever landed a track by an unknown writer with a major artist? What % of accepted submissions have made a profit? How many tracks have Beyoncé, Rihanna, Ryan Adams, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran ever recorded (as per the briefs)? My guess is none so I would say focus on being great and sharing your music directly with people you respect. The 'A&R professionals' are 'People Like Us'......Nothing more, nothing less.....

Yes you may well be right , but for my £15 i've got a direct, if not a small compliment off someone who has dealt with Beyonce on some level , plus other A listers .

You'd be surprised how much credence this type of thing has when i mention it to people, for example if i'm offering to write .

Every little counts...TESCO.

montecristo

• Busker
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2017, 06:45:36 PM »
Whatever works my friend. Totally agree the low price vs credibility grabs some attention....Just think it is worth noting that MusicXRay may not be the best way to monetise your work.....Love the Tesco reference btw!