• 103 Replies

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2016, 09:42:13 PM »
I think it's really a shame that music and musicians suffer from and are almost forced into a competitive mindset. It's rarely good for the creative process when you're outside of the world of a career musician.

I don't doubt there are many people in the world who can write a 'better' lyric than Taylor Swift. But being successful in the music business is about so much more than being a good lyricist/ songwriter/ musician. A certain temperament is required. Janis Joplin nailed it when she said to her parents in a letter that 'star quality' is about a need to be famous, a drive to be seen because once you reach a certain level of talent, which many, many have, there's nothing really to differentiate one person from another musically. I'm paraphrasing, but it rings true. You need to be good enough, and bloody determined. But you don't need to be the best.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2016, 09:48:44 PM »
Well said Tone...
Actually i have a song , this was a Co-write between me and the studio producer..and my brief was for it to be done in a Taylor Swift style (country Taylor that is)  , i gave him a guide video and together we decided on instrumentation. ..i think it came out pretty good .

https://soundcloud.com/songsthatcry/all-night-long-m-1

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »
I agree with a lot of what you say. For me it's a bit like the 'luck' argument - ie people getting their big break. I've often felt this sells those you got 'lucky' short - yes they'd an opportunity but they had to be good enough to capitalise on it with some level of talent. I think it's a matter of tempering your aims and aspiration with a healthy dose of realism - as Tone says you only have to be good enough not the best but being 'good enough' is no small feat. The only way to get better is to study the craft of those who are where you wanna be and work damn hard to get as close to that as you can not proclaiming to the world and its wife that you're better than people who have made millions and do this for a living.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2016, 09:53:18 PM »
Well said Tone...
Actually i have a song , this was a Co-write between me and the studio producer..and my brief was for it to be done in a Taylor Swift style (country Taylor that is)  , i gave him a guide video and together we decided on instrumentation. ..i think it came out pretty good .

https://soundcloud.com/songsthatcry/all-night-long-m-1

That as the case may be Taylor Swift doesn't do 'pretty good' , she does chart topping. The songs pretty decent admittedly (except for the title - that made me think of that c&^t Lionel Ritchie!). The old vocal is pretty nice on the ear.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2016, 10:08:25 PM »
She's called Amber-rose...not the very famous one...mind you.!

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2016, 10:10:30 PM »
STC has reminded me, one of the signs of a great songwriter is the number of people who copy your style.

Taylor Swift has many imitators. She will be around for many more years and will be seen as one of the great song writers in the future by the music industry.

The fact that I don't particularly like her music will have no effect on her legacy.

Interesting discussion though.

Here's some more food for thought. How great were those British songwriters Nicky Chinn and Mike Chapman?

I'm off to work my way through some of Helena's recommendations. I'm not sure I'd put PJ Harvey as chilled out rock stuff though.

Helena4

• Open Mic
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2016, 10:21:05 PM »
Yeah I don't think anyone can claim to be as good as Taylor Swift. We all probably write some more "profound" lyrics but she's not looking for that. She could do that too, I'm sure she could. But she wants to be famous as Tone said, and she knows how to perfectly sculpt songs that are catchy and really really really chart-toppingly succesful. Most of us wouldn't be able to do that. That is a total genius compared to most songwriters. Once you put her amongst the ranks of all those that have acheived that however... then it becomes very very subjective. I would like to say in my opinion though, Ellie Goulding is far below Taylor Swift.

And oh I don't know what the hell to call PJ I'm sorry, I hate genres I don't understand them properly.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution...
I am a rebel girl.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2016, 10:21:28 PM »
I think this is a great discussion and kudos to everyone for making their steely points (and occasional low blows  ::)) without flying off the handle and getting too personal with each other - it really does feel like a "down the pub" discussion over some beers (which is fitting as we are in the bar)

We are back to the definition of "good" (or "great") in such a subjective world as songwriting

The one thing I do know is that "great" songs are not always hits and hit songs are not always great

HOWEVER, I will climb off the fence and say that my personal opinion is that the things hit songs and great songs have in common is that they use similar "features", "rules" and "techniques" that engage the listener and draws them in to the song

Whether it is a natural ability by a "great" (Dylan, Beatles, Paul Simon) or an applied science (Motown, Tin Pan Alley, Dr Luke, Max Martin et al.) for me many of the techniques are the same and the songs that engage me, whether it is lyrically, melodically or something I can't pin down are the ones that I consider are great - which may be a classic or the lastest cheesey pop hit
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2016, 10:55:50 PM »
It's a good discussion but defining great for contemporary artists is very subjective and personal. After fifty years, give or take, it becomes less so because history will judge for us, but to judge current artists is always going to be personal and hence turning it into a competition feels pointless to me. Take the competitions we hold here - my choices have never ever won, or even been placed, but I know my votes have gone to the greatest songs because I'm right and anyone who voted differently is wrong  ;)...so it proves competition is not a valid way of determining greatness.

This discussion seems very pop music based, and also very results (i.e. sales) orientated and I must say I don't see the correlation. Just because one songwriter is at the top of the charts and another is in their bedroom doesn't mean one is a better writer (it could mean that, but it's not a given). There are so many other factors - time, luck, looks, geography, payola, pushy parents, famous parents, parents with the money to trot their kids round dance and singing and acting classes, desire, chosen genre (it goes without saying that  folk and blues and fingerpicking acoustic are the most noble of genres and pop song-writing doesn't even come close...  ;)) and so on. So for me, record sales in the charts are an irrelevant measure of greatness.

I have nothing against Taylor Swift - I've heard a few of her songs and they were pleasant enough, but none of them made me want to go out and buy her records. But then I'm not her target market. I'm forty years too old. There are, however, songs that I've heard on this very site that I would go out and buy - I can recall half a dozen or so absolutely outstanding songs, and I've only been here a few months. For me, those are better songs than most current pop songs that I hear on my commute. Simple as that. The songs here that I'm referring to make more of a connection with who I am, where I come from, what I've seen and done and so on. That's what great song-writing is (again, to me, YMMV) - it's about touching people, moving people, making connections, building emotional involvement, and that's why a twenty-something year old girl is going to appeal to some people and a fifty year old man is going to appeal to others. They're potentially both great songwriters, but they're both great to a different set of people.

West Country Country Boy

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2016, 12:38:52 AM »
Great discussion guys.

I think I'm in the delb0y camp. It's all about time and how you want to spend it esp for someone my age :) Years ago I started creating crossword puzzles instead of solving them. This was after realizing that every existing crossword puzzle already had a solution - I was just wasting my time figuring out what it was. I feel somewhat the same about music now. I've heard thousands of artists/songs in my life so listening to the pop charts seems like I'm just figuring out that formula that I've learned so many times before. Like Boydie says - similar rules. Mind you, I still love a GOOD pop song for how they make me feel. (Uptown Funk comes to mind - stolen from The Sequence :))
Is great songwriting gone? I don't think so. It's just gone into hiding in forums like this ;)

Paul

Helena4

• Open Mic
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2016, 08:34:18 AM »
Wow I just realised no-one mentioned Hozier and I didn't either!

I think he's a decent candidate for an actually good and very popular singer songwriter of current times. Take Me to Church is amazingly emotional, gets in your head, and was chart topping.

I like Take Me to Church obviously and Jackie and Wilson most.
I am a rebel girl.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2016, 09:11:06 AM »

And oh I don't know what the hell to call PJ I'm sorry, I hate genres I don't understand them properly.

You don't have to call her anything. My cd collection is arranged in blues (old school), reggae, classical and everything else. All in alphabetical order.

I really like PJ Harvey's early cds. "Chilled out rock" is the last thing I'd have thought of to describe the music :)

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »

I think he's a decent candidate for an actually good and very popular singer songwriter of current times. Take Me to Church is amazingly emotional, gets in your head, and was chart topping.

Massive + 1 to Hozier. He is amazing. Oddly enough Jackie and Wilson floats my boat too - it's actually my favourite song of his. 'Take me to church' speaks for itself but I'm more a fan of 'Someone New'. I think it's very well crafted lyrically, musically it is very interesting and it's got a real authentic feel to it production wise. He's got other top notch, perhaps less known songs, like 'from Eden' and 'Work song' that I really rate.

Good call Helena!!!!

Helena4

• Open Mic
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2016, 11:31:17 AM »

Massive + 1 to Hozier. He is amazing. Oddly enough Jackie and Wilson floats my boat too - it's actually my favourite song of his. 'Take me to church' speaks for itself but I'm more a fan of 'Someone New'. I think it's very well crafted lyrically, musically it is very interesting and it's got a real authentic feel to it production wise. He's got other top notch, perhaps less known songs, like 'from Eden' and 'Work song' that I really rate.

Good call Helena!!!!

Someone new is good too, but I prefer Take Me to Church. Shout out to Radio 1 Breakfast by the way, since they turned me on to Jackie and Wilson. They really are useful, people. Also there are a couple of these songwriter guys I fogot:
   - James Bay
   - Tom Odell
Are also both very good. Tom Odell's Another Love is just insane - that is a truly great song no doubt. I could listen to it forever. I can barely bare to listen to other music after I listen to it.

I enjoy Birdy too. Mostly People Help the People though, which I think is a cover... Of her newest album, I quite like Beautiful Lies.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:57:38 AM by Helena4 »
I am a rebel girl.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2016, 04:24:02 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks Take me to church sounds like two songs bolted together? The verse on its own is good, I like it. The chorus on its own is exceptional. Great melody, great lyric, very atmospheric. But the two together, just doesn't hold. The transition to the chorus feels so clumsy to me...
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l