konalavadome

Artist Statement for Grant Application

• 8 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: September 09, 2016, 04:09:16 AM »
I have an opportunity to apply for a small grant, so I need to develop an artist statement. If I had a local songwriters' group, I would go there for help, but--since I don't--I'm coming to the bar. Anyone have experience writing artist statements?

I've been working on it for awhile, but I keep going in the wrong directions. I need to focus on why I write music and sing for myself. Something to do with my development as a "late bloomer" songwriter, in particular.

I hope to use the grant funds to get a website developed where I can showcase my music as well as somehow support the idea no one is too old to start a career in music, even if that career is only in their own neighborhood. What's important is to be passionate about wanting it.

The granting agency wants me to focus on why I want to do this for my own benefit as an artist, a songwriter, a musician. I, personally, am passionate about spreading the news that people should do stuff, not just watch other people do stuff. And somehow get over the idea that one must be an expert first. But I maybe shouldn't focus on that so much... <<sigh>>

The name of my project (and the upcoming website) is "Late Bloomers Rock".

So, does this have any possibilities? I think it's my best effort so far.

As a songwriter, it brings me joy to produce beautiful melodies with thoughtful, meaningful lyrics focused on uplifting themes that speak to the peacemakers, the lovers, and the helpers in all of us. My songs are designed to be singable by almost anyone while allowing room for the development of excellence by skilled singers.

My motivation, not only to make sure artistic activities are included in my own life but also to do what I can to provide artistic experiences for others, springs from my belief that such activities and experiences are essential if we are to reach our fullest potential as fulfilled and functional people. I have always been drawn to music as a first choice for my personal artistic activities, and over the years I’ve developed from singing at the most elementary level to singing in groups of two to eight part harmony and finally to writing my own music.

I wish: to continue my personal development as a musician--especially as a singer and songwriter, to use music as a positive influence in my own life and the lives of others, and to use music as a means to encourage myself and others to be active participants in life, rather than only observers.

I hope for some feedback on this and welcome any advice on ways to make it better. In particular, I'm having trouble figuring out how to include anything about "late bloomers". I don't know...maybe that part isn't important for the grant. Anyway, that's where I am at the moment.

Thanks,
Vicki

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 07:38:48 AM »
Could your "artist statement" be a song?

Submit the lyrics as the written statement but also include a recorded version of the song

You already have your title (Late Bloomers) and you have your concept written out

Could potentially be risky but I can't think of a better way of "standing out" from other applications and reinforcing your case
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 02:21:30 PM »
Well, there's an idea! My project plan is also a great song concept. Hmm. I do like the idea of writing a song to the title. It remains to be seen if I can come up with a lyric soon enough that is a strong enough artist statement.

As far as risk, I can make that a non-issue. The agency has a grants coordinator or manager or something like that, and she will review every part of my grant with me and give me her opinion as to whether it's a good and strong addition to the application or not.

Thanks for the idea! I'll work on that. And, of course, I am open to more suggestions and ideas as well.

Vicki

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 05:17:34 PM »
Hmm. Kind of depends on why the grant program exists IMHO.
If they have set it up to help musicians grow their "business" I would respond in one way (indicate how your new web site will allow you to sell/promote/market your material or services, interest publishers etc.). If the grant's purpose is to "better the world" then your current approach would work fine. Personally I think the "late bloomer" idea could just be seen as playing the sympathy card. Their program should not discriminate one way or the other due to the age of their applicants.
Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong on all counts! :)
Paul
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:19:58 PM by Paulski »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 06:51:44 PM »
Good point, Paulski! The granting agency is interested in promoting the arts and artists in general. Age is not supposed to matter. I don't plan to focus on the "late bloomers" part so much for the grant itself. But it is important to me, personally, and it is the name of the project. It's okay to apply for a grant for a portion of a project, so I'm focusing the application on the development of the website in general and on preparing some songs to showcase there.

My priorities, for the purposes of the grant, in order from highest to lowest, are:
1. My singing
2. My songwriting
3. Developing and promoting the website

I'm hoping that clarifies a little. ? The agency is all about art for the sake of art.

Vicki

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 06:15:26 AM »
Here is what (little) I know.   I was on a board of directors for a local non-profit for eight years. 

We had several very talented writers on the board at various times, but when it was time to write a "grant proposal" none of us really knew what to do.  Each time, we ended up hiring a Grant Writer. 

Just so you know, I'm confident to the point of arrogance when it comes to writing. . . and I don't know the first thing about successfully writing a grant. 

So, my advice is to get some advice from someone who has (successfully) written a grant proposal before.  I suspect that it will increase your chances by about 150% if you do.   If someone here has successfully applied for a grant, then take advice from them.  If not, find someone who has. 

I'm pretty sure that advice from someone who has not written a grant proposal (much less a successful one) won't do much good for you.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 02:33:56 PM »
Thanks Verlon! I do actually have several years of experience writing grants for non-profits. I don't have much experience with writing artist statements, though. This is only my second individual artist grant. And my first one did get funded.

My track record is actually very good. One grant I wrote did not get funded because it did not get mailed by the deadline. Of course, I have a strong advantage. The non-profits I write for are in a county that has been designated as "under served" in the arts, so our applications are weighted accordingly. If the project has sufficient support, it will most likely get funded.

I also live in the under served county, so my personal application will be weighted. My odds of getting funded, if my project seems reasonably do-able, are pretty good.

I have run my artist statement by other people, as well, and I will have the granting agency review it, also. I think I probably am pretty close to having it.

Thanks again for the input!
Vicki

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 08:30:16 AM »
Thanks Verlon! I do actually have several years of experience writing grants for non-profits. I don't have much experience with writing artist statements, though. This is only my second individual artist grant. And my first one did get funded.

My track record is actually very good. One grant I wrote did not get funded because it did not get mailed by the deadline. Of course, I have a strong advantage. The non-profits I write for are in a county that has been designated as "under served" in the arts, so our applications are weighted accordingly. If the project has sufficient support, it will most likely get funded.

I also live in the under served county, so my personal application will be weighted. My odds of getting funded, if my project seems reasonably do-able, are pretty good.

I have run my artist statement by other people, as well, and I will have the granting agency review it, also. I think I probably am pretty close to having it.

Thanks again for the input!
Vicki

It's good to know that you have grant writing experience.  THAT is a rare and valuable skill and I will file away in my head that I know someone with that skill.   I may be asking you for advice in the future. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2016, 03:06:49 PM »
Anytime, Verlon. I am happy to help anyone, if I can.