Songwriter Forum > The Writing Process

Self doubt

(1/3) > >>

Williamjohnsmith:
Recently I’ve been trying to write and record an EP to release online something I’ve always wanted to do but I can never seem to finish a song.

Some of the things that stop me are

* the lyrics take me so long to write because I never think they are good enough which means I end up working for a very long time on the song and end up hating it
* i start recording the vocals and hate the sound of my own voice so get annoyed and stop writing the song
* I easily go off ideas and throw them in the bin
I also have to record in my parents house and they are usually in which makes me nervous to record vocals and when I do they maybe don’t sound as good because the performance is weak as I’m trying to be quiet

I was wondering if anyone else experiences this self doubt when writing or recording and if there is any advice out there?

Ignore it?
Force yourself to finish things?

Any advice for how to be more productive and finish things also

I really want to make an album or EP

Yodasdad:
Everyone is their own worst critic!

Think about it like this...who are you to judge you own music?

So what if you write a song that you thing is the biggest pile of rubbish ever...if someone else likes it, just one...surely that’s mission accomplished?

Surely there are songs out there that you don’t like, that other people do or vice versa?

You know the answer, you’ve said it... you’ve got to just finish a song, good or bad in your opinion, and then post it on hear for advice.

And I hate to break it to you, but it probably won’t be on a par with bohemian rhapsody, most people’s first songs aren’t that good, mine wasn’t!

Yodasdad.

adamfarr:
Hey there - probably better to think your songs are terrible and to get a pleasant surprise if someone else likes them, than to think they are amazing and to be disappointed.

All this gets better with practice. So commit, get it recorded, have people listen, listen to others on here (critical listening is a great skill then to apply to your own songs), rework (or dump!) and get excited for the next one.

Also nowadays "committing" is not so final - if you use a DAW then at any time you can just go back in a re-record a new vocal or instrumental line if wanted.

I say buy the parents noise-cancelling headphones and a Netflix subscription ;-) Or just tell them they should be happy that you are getting creative and expressing yourself!

Martinswede:
Hi!

If I understand you right you start recording before the song is finished?
I suggest you work on a few songs simultaneously so you don't get stuck on one song and it ends in frustration.
Singing has a steep learning curve. Try changing the key 'til is really in your comfort zone.
I also advice you to play covers. If you have the time try a new song every day or so. Just simple songs to practice singing melodies.

Lastly a kind remark, start replying to other peoples posts. Some might hesitate to reply to members that aren't active.

Keep singing,
Martin

Williamjohnsmith:
Thanks for the replies, sorry I've only just logged in to see them!

they were all really helpful and have inspired me to stick at it a bit more and force myself to finish the songs I am writing.

I will try to upload some here as the first two of you suggested when I finish in a reply and in a separate post in the feedback section of the forum.

just to clarify my parents are supportive of my music and don't mind me making noise it's just that I am embarrassed to record vocals when they are in, I am in my early 20s and perhaps a bit too self concious. luckily I had an empty house earlier and did do some vocals which turned out pretty well which has spurred me on a bit.

thanks again for the advice I will keep you posted!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version