konalavadome

The bad factor

• 4 Replies

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« on: November 12, 2017, 07:10:12 PM »
Hello everyone!
I am of the opinion that most things created by humans are bad or mediocre. Be it knitted sweaters, music, toothpaste etc. Bad as good as always outranks good. And every day of the week great.

That in mind. Maybe most of my musical ideas have a vacuum like quality...
I throw away about 80% of my started songs and 50% of the produced content of my finished songs. Then I sort out the mediocre stuff and it cuts it by round 2/3.

Still I think this is the standard procedure when making bad toothpaste.

If this reminds you of yourself, how do you tackle it?

Martin

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 06:47:56 AM »
Martin - I am also a human and so take your comment personally (just kidding!)

My view is that many things made by industries are bad or at least not very interesting. A lot of things made by artisans are much more interesting.

A bit of humility is definitely better than none, but I think if you're too hard on yourself then you'll produce less and also worry too much about what others think.

Yes, not everything we produce creatively is art; but it is still an achievement and part of a path, not towards perfect but towards better...

If the sifting process and the search for nuggets of goodness is just your way of enjoying the process then that's totally fine but it sounds a bit as if there's also a bit of beating yourself over the head, which I usually try to avoid!

2tuoo

• Open Mic
  • Feelings are for faces and paper
    • Emotion Tunes
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:21:37 AM »
oooooh! Philosophy!

I think there are many ways to interpret this but the end result is what counts.

Your art is an expression of an idea within a certain constraint form. Music in this particular case.
I speak for myself but maybe someone can concur:

An idea transforms into lyrics or music and becomes materialistic and measurable. You take it out of your head and actually see the outcome (hello to the judge your music objectively - thread).
The outcome might be misaligned with the way you wanted.
It might appear unworthy once examined from this different angle
Your-self might have changed between inception and production, so the idea does not appeal to you.

It can just generally suck too, but I don't see any objective way to distinguish suckiness from the above. (unless someone sings out of key, that thing ... don't get me started)

So the end result is proportionally smaller than the intent. That's how it is. It's hard to push your music to audiences as it is, imagine what would happen and how would you feel if every idea anyone had would end up fully made.

On a side note, this is what I heard about the greats:
Linking park had in interview in the early 200 - their 3rd album had over 90 songs and it got narrowed down to 10+.
Michael Jackson admitted on stage that each album compiled of about 150 songs in various stages of production.
Picasso did about 2 pieces a day. I think he regarded most of them as crap unworthy of anything
Image result for picasso how many paintings
Picasso was exceptionally prolific throughout his long lifetime. The total number of artworks he produced has been estimated at 50,000, comprising 1,885 paintings; 1,228 sculptures; 2,880 ceramics, roughly 12,000 drawings, many thousands of prints, and numerous tapestries and rugs.

To conclude - all we do is dig for gems. Good pieces are based on multiple attempts at crap and mediocrity and we are in a good company :)
Have a great day!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 01:52:18 PM »
Meh.

I'm as fickle and changeable as the weather,I go where the notion takes me and give it all my best shot,but I always finish what I start. For me,this is imperative.

I've never thrown away a song. I finish it and move on. There are no old,unfinished projects in my DAW apart from current songs still under construction.

Some finished songs will work better than others,there's no way to avoid that.

Do what you do Martin and be the best Martin you can be,nobody does you better than you.

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »
My intention was mostly Fun and Inspirational.