"It's Already Tomorrow" - Summer Bare Bones Competition

• 26 Replies

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 07:30:20 PM »
That was not half bad coming from a scrap!  :D
I know I'm repeating myself but once again: you have such a full, rich voice that works so exceptionally well in these kind of bare bone songs. But for me the real star of this song is the lyrics, love them. More of "painting a mood" rather than storytelling and I really, really enjoyed these lyrics!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 09:47:46 PM »
Hi Alan, your voice has that lovely,languid tone to it and it perfectly suits this song. Simple guitar picking ,lovely melody.
Super!
Cheers
Jamie

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2016, 05:16:57 PM »
Alan,
Evocative of a time passed, very clever work. Lyrics and vocals all working together.
The best bit is the whistling, just lovely and warm.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2016, 04:44:19 PM »
Thank you to those who took the time to comment - much appreciated. As long as somebody likes my song, I'm happy.

Alan,
Evocative of a time passed, very clever work. Lyrics and vocals all working together.
The best bit is the whistling, just lovely and warm.
 :)
Neil

Thanks Neil - I think whistling is my best instrument!

Hi Alan, your voice has that lovely,languid tone to it and it perfectly suits this song. Simple guitar picking ,lovely melody.
Super!
Cheers
Jamie

Yes, it just sort of worked out very quickly and easily. Sometimes it's like that and sometimes it takes years...

That was not half bad coming from a scrap!  :D
I know I'm repeating myself but once again: you have such a full, rich voice that works so exceptionally well in these kind of bare bone songs. But for me the real star of this song is the lyrics, love them. More of "painting a mood" rather than storytelling and I really, really enjoyed these lyrics!

Great to hear your comments on my lyrics; I try my best to compensate for lack of musical skill by taking time over the lyrical content.

Listened to this while driving..lovely, very calming song, excellent warm vocals and nice message in the song..de-esser would be good on the vox and I thought the guitar was a bit low in the mix and could've been spread across the stereo field a bit...but thats production innit..
song is fab!!!

I take your points about the production but pleased that you thought the song was good.

Such a lovely gentle song Alan. Love stripped down stuff like this. I love the whistling as well  :)

I'd like to do all my stuff like this but it gets a little monotonous for the listener.

This has to be therapy pure and simple. If i could just do this in my room day after day the world would be a better place...you sound like you yourself shines through every line. The lyrics are great and please keep the whistling going...there is never enough of it. I can't whistle myself so I'm well jealous.

Exactly what I thought bare bones would be...great entry and above all great song.

Lovely comments indeed. You are very kind.

Lyrics right up my street and have always loved songs with whistling which has something very human and fragile about it.

The playing is excellent and I like the way the melody leads and doesn't follow.

The stops and starts also contribute to the mood. Excellent stuff.

Thanks, Adam. it's a very basic finger picking pattern but it works!

Lovely stuff Alan. Particular enjoyed how there is a little pause, almost like a gulp, before "To Swallow" at the end of the chorus.

The whistling is great, I am so jealous of anyone who can do that!  :)

I did like where it went for the middle 8, but I thought it could have negotiated the key changes in a smoother way. It just jumps back to the original key. I may be old fashioned in my thinking, but I think the emotional impact is greater if you modulated back to the original key, feeling you have been on a journey more. That might just be me and my classical leanings talking.

All in all a beautiful song  :)

Tom.

Hi Tom, Yes, i take your point about the sudden jump. I did try and do a little joiny bit but it didn't sound natural - lack of musical skill I'm afraid. I'm pleased that you liked the song.

Ahh Monty  ;D  Lovely song......

You vocal seems to be more comfortable/relaxed
 with this style.  More expressive, I can hear the
 soul of Monty ;D ;D

The whistling is great, and works really well.
 Makes it very commercial, I should imagine ;D ;D
 This sort of thing is all over the TV.

Great stuff  ;D

Thanks, Bin. Always so perceptive in your comments. All over the TV would be great....

A real "Gordon Lightfoot vibe to the vocal, and wonderfully original "folky" guitar work. 

It won't be a big surprise if the first entry is the best entry.   

I'll take the Gordon Lightfoot comparison, thanks. There will be many better entries than this, I'm sure.

I can't believe that you've got your comp song done so quickly Alan :o And it's a winner to boot :o
It's gorgeous in all aspects...lyrics, vocal performance, guitar...beautiful :)
I haven't even come up with an idea yet :o  :o

The beauty of the bare bones concept is that it should be pretty quick to record and the competition made me convert a small scrap of an idea into a song so it was worth it for that alone. Thank for your lovely comments.

Definitely a class song.

Shades of Paul Weller, excellent lyrics as usual.

Like the chorus, and great whistling.

Nice guitars, the song ends very abruptly....after several listens, I like that effect.

Got a good bare bones feeling.

Sandeep
Thank you, Sandeep. The Paul Weller comparison is a new one - I'll have to add that to my list!

Great song. Really nice melody and a lovely lilt / groove to the arrangement. Whistling is very good - wish I could whistle! Very good lyrics, too. All in all, a top class tune. Most enjoyable.

Great to hear you liked it delb0y - coming from you that means a lot

Hey Alan

What a lovely intimate song and the lyric is so well written and universal - everyone sees time racing by and asks where it went. No nits from me on this stellar song and performance. Gotta be a strong contender for top spot in the contest IMHO

Paul

A thumbs up from one of my favourite writers on here makes my day. Thank you.

Hey there Monty.....love the song, Man!
Really dig the lyric, and the melody carries them sweetly.
And here I thought I was the only whistler, 'round these parts  ;)
Good, good stuff, and the best of luck!
                                                              8)-Tom
Thanks, Tom. I think I'll need it!

This is totally gorgeous allan...some of those soft low notes make me go weak at the knees!
& I love  to hear whistling in a song....its not used enough ...its a human instrument
 I have to say again that you sound unbelievably good being  a english folk  ballad singer instead of filling your lyrics with american images which never rings true to me
I love  songs with a lot of rhymes they just get in your head quicker & theres a nice lot here
ive played it 4 times & it still sounds fresh & lovely...what deodorant do you spray your songs with? ;D

Blimey, Tina - you nearly brought a tear to my eye - must be the tin of "Sure" I spray everywhere. Thanks for your kind words.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2016, 05:20:35 PM »
Great vocal and a lovely tune.

I'm particularly envious of your whistling  :)

One of the greatest things about this song - and the competition in general - is how it allows a glimpse into the mind and imagination of the songwriter.

Very nice!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 06:34:14 AM »
Nice laid-back wistful performance. Flows like a babbling brook. Lyrics paint scenes in my head. I like it.
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 05:49:47 PM »
Monty,
Lovely tune delivered in a direct soulful way....Outstanding write with a great chorus....The series of images moves through a beautiful emotional landscape....So well done!   and oh the vocal really shines and supports the lyrics..

igg

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2016, 08:55:34 PM »
Nice. Thoughtful lyrics, beautifully delivered. And a whistling solo always gets extra points from me. ;-)

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 12:05:58 AM »
beautiful melody tender vocal
simple with that lovely turn 'theres no time'
nice smooth picking
thought the ending rather abrupt.. guess time ran out..
lovely job allan
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 08:46:04 PM »
Hi Alan,

Trademark stuff.

Heck knows how you reach those low notes.

I like the abrupt ending. It's almost a demand. I find that sort of thing interesting in songs as it makes them more than just a throwaway piece of pop.

Digger

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 12:26:45 AM »
Other than one "atchore" (at your) that I noticed, I  have no nits. This is a lovely, soft ballad and the spare treatment suits it well, in my opinion. Your gorgeous voice doesn't hurt it any, either. :)

Vicki

AlzieBear

• Busker
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2016, 07:29:01 PM »
Hi mate - 'it's already tomorrow' sounds like it should be a world famous song moment!

I think the whistling is a nice touch - and in answer to your question is definitely better than having another verse!

Keep it up mate very classy song.