konalavadome

Saving the Best till Last?!

• 1 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« on: March 28, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »
So

I was listening to a classic today. Ziggy Stardust. Love it (well except for the tinny "Remaster" - urgh - one album I would LOVE to have on vinyl!)

And I realised. The best three songs are the LAST three songs!

Ziggy Stardust
Suffragette City
Rock n Roll Suicide

Bosh!

Just wondering if there is anything to this? A logic of "End on a high!" perhaps?

Which is very unlike the world of "Pop" albums. Where tracks 1-4 are catchy and then filler thereafter (Best examples I can think of are noughties Madonna and Justin Timberlake. Great Singles and then fill-er!)

Thoughts anyone? Classic albums that end on a duo/trio of stunners?

Jx

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Ramshackles

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • https://soundcloud.com/ramshackles
    • Ramshackles @ Facebook
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:10:46 AM »
Last three songs of pet sounds are stunning (I Just wasnt made for these times, pet sounds, caroline no),  Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End from Abbey Road?...
How about 'Desolation Row' on highway 61 revisited??...not 3 songs, but it is 11 mins...

The second side of The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle by Bruce Springsteen?

From some more modern albums, I might choose the last 3 tracks of Wilco's 'A Ghost Is Born', or of 'Helplessness Blues' by Fleet Foxes..

Oh, the closing trio of Arcade Fires debut was pretty awesome (Haiti, Rebellion, In the Backseat)

Or No Surprises/Lucky/The Tourist

the thing is, the standard of songs on all those albums, ziggy included, was so consistent all the way through it is debatable which songs really are the best. At least 2 of my bandmates would put 'Startman' among the best on ziggy....