Concept Album - writing songs for a bigger picture

• 5 Replies

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« on: March 27, 2013, 03:51:08 PM »
Has anyone ever tried, or been tempted to try writing a concept album, where each song links to tell a story?

Generally speaking I have hit a bit of a wall in terms of where I go next. I have a couple of collabs running which I'm very excited about but aside from that, I feel that writing to create a 'piece of work' rather than just loads of random, unrelated songs, might be the way forward. I'm tired of rushing out quick unfinished demo's and want to focus on a bigger, slower, more measured project. I'm not talking musicals though, that's too OTT and not my thing at all, something more subtle than that.. something which takes the listener along with it on some kind of 'journey' ???

Any thoughts?

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 04:51:52 PM »
I think slowing down and writing a fuller set of songs is a great idea. I don't necessarily agree that writing to a concept of theme is needed though...

I tend to write albums not songs. Insofar as I focus on writing a bunch of songs, then record them over 3-9 months as an album. This way a coherency is a natural thing. The drummer in one or two sessions. Final vocals all in the same week. Session players etc. Plus, because the songs are aiming for an album the tend to become a theme.

Lots of people has said to me that my album I am currently touting is very much a chilled late night listen ("The Twilight Sessions" was both a reflection of when I recorded/wrote it and what it sounds like!)

So, perhaps the project itself will lend a theme. A Concept album itself might be reaching a little far, I suppose is my main concern :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 05:01:20 PM »
Sounds like a great idea and I think this is something you would excel at!

The trick is to get an interesting story, with a few twists, but keeping it simple enough for the listener to follow - there is definitely a fine balance between the 2 to be had here!

If the links are too obvious it will be like a musical/opera

If they are too obscure you will end up with a mix of unrelated songs

I would therefor avoid things like giving characters names - but maintain their personalities throughout the album and tell their "stories"

You could do a "traveller's tales" and tell the sotries of different characters and bring them in and out of each song?

I would suggest drafting out the over-arching story and then break it down into 10 or so "steps" - you will then have 10 or so clear concepts for different songs

e.g. (with an obvious example!)

1 – Boy sees girl he likes

2 – Boy meets girl

3 – Girl is not interested

4 – Discover girl really likes boy but family don’t approve

5 – Boy meets another girl but she is “not the one”

6 – Original girl sees them together and is devastated

7 – 20 years pass – song about aging and lost love

8 – boy breaks up with new girls that isn’t “the one” (gotta have a break up song!)

9 – Boy sees original girl who is now alone with no family

10 – if you can’t work out the ending you should watch more movies!!!!

This is obviously a little “cliché” but with the right approach you could have 10 cracking songs here (that people can easily relate to) with a thread running through the track

Just some initial thoughts that may get your juices flowing
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 05:35:18 PM »
Boydie,

Interesting. It depends what you mean by concept album. Are you thinking along the lines of "The War Of The Worlds", "Six Wives Of Henry VIII" and "Dark Side Of the Moon" or a collection of songs with a common theme? Say, water or rural England or songs about leaving, arriving etc etc.

I could maybe do the latter but not the former. It would be a good way to use unfinished scraps and ideas to continue the theme between the main songs and you could break out of the usual "It can't be more than 4 minutes and "where's the hook" and all that stuff.

habiTat

• Stadium Tour
    • habiTat songs
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 07:04:12 PM »
@Boydie

You are thinking along the right lines...

Here is my idea..

Seven Deadly Brothers

Luxuria (Lust)
Gula (Gluttony)
Avaritia (Greed)
Acedia (Sloth)
Ira (Wrath)
Invidia (Envy)
Superbia (Pride)

Luxuria takes Acedia's wife, Avaritia takes his possessions, Acedia has given up and doesn't care.  Invidia is envious of Avaritia's rich life, while Superbia thinks he is the best, most successful brother. Gula is Avaritia's twin, he is the loner, he lives alone, eats lots and collects riches. Ira is the angry, bitter brother, frustrated at what his family has become. He is determined to punish them for their ways.

Each brother has his own story, his own personality, his own 'sin'. Each affects the other in some way. Well, something like that..

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 09:02:47 AM »
Hab, I love it. That is my kind of concept album. :)

Having a theme is a great idea - it will challenge you to stretch your writing in different ways and you'll certainly come up with something that you would never have found without it.

My only bit of advice would be that if, as you're writing, the story or concept begins to change, go with it. Write what's inside you and you'll be left with a cracking album :)

New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l