konalavadome

What is your secret weapon?

• 19 Replies

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 09:55:10 PM »
Dear mystic dreamer

I don't have a timing problem when I play live with other people.  But for some reason I can't seem to get in the pocket when I'm playing with myself.   Maybe I should just quit playing with myself and that will solve all my problems. 

In addition to what Boydie says about using a rhythm track even if it's discarded. And what you might find works is to lay down say guitar, vocals and then bass sequentially. And then replace each one until you're happy that you have a it sounding like a single band. Good luck
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Friedemann

• Open Mic
  • You got to sound gefährlich!
    • Holistic Songwriting on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 11:07:15 PM »
For me, it's my workflow.

I write complete songs (incl production) in 2 days or less with a songwriting approach that I created.

I sat down and really looked into what hit songwriters were doing (I've been listening to and analyzing the billboards every week for years) and created what I call the gefährlich approach. I read about 20 songwriting books, went to two different conservatories and still go to literally every masterclass that comes my way, but my approach still makes the most sense to me. It solves several of the biggest problems of songwriting for me.

I've been teaching it to a couple of friends and colleagues and their results are fantastic. One of them got their music on television, another got signed. Can't say if it was because of my approach, but they still use it, so I guess it must help ;)
"You got to sound gefährlich"

sarepaar

• Busker
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 09:18:58 PM »
Secret weapon? I feel like there is this huge pile of weapons in front of me to choose from and mine is somewhere at the bottom. I'll keep looking. I Will Find It!!! ;D

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 05:35:18 PM »
My secret weapon is so secret that I cannot tell you......oh, ok then, : ;D

I love my home made soundbooth, I often start a backing track on a loop then get into the soundbooth and write the song on the mic..I get totally lost in the music and it helps me hear stuff I would not normally hear..

best to all, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MarcusAlexander

• Busker
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 10:10:51 AM »
For me it's honestly whistling, I know guitarists can usually play the melodies they hear in their head, I can't yet so I just whistle it instead, and then convert a melody to a song if I find something nice! I always use my phone to record stuff I make up just to remember it, as the next day I might not be happy with it..
Swedish Musician/Songwriter.
My most recent video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7kIhQPl-7E