I'm Over You (new vocal by Becky Thomas)

• 46 Replies

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 07:26:01 PM »
Butch - thanks for comments about my improved mix abilities...mind you it couldn't have been much worse than it was when I started about a year ago. The tips I've had here, and the encouragement to learn more have helped me enormously. Cheers!

Allan - thanks for the smooth comments on the write. Funny that both you and Digger go for a female vocal...this is the first of three that were written before Xmas that I hadn't got round to recording yet (still two oustanding in fact!) and I always fancied a male vocal for this, female for the next two. Maybe just needs a better male vocal than mine!

Mark - Glad you enjoyed it. Sorry that you weren't able to get complete satisfaction....unfortunately I'm not much of a lead guitarist, so you'll have to stick to Mark Knopfler.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 10:59:51 PM »
Smooth indeed!
I'd say your voice works just fine for this song.
Good to hear an upright bass again, been a while. Sounds pretty convincing (and I used play one so I should now I guess).
Agree with the others regarding the sax but other than that I think the mix sound just fine.
I had no problem with the drum sound btw.
This one was so smooth I actually listened twice and given my musical preferences I'd say that must be considered a high rating.  ;D

/Johan

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2015, 08:58:30 AM »
Thanks Johan.

Great that you soldiered through it twice...I know it's not really your sort of thing.
Pleased that drums, bass and mix overall sounded OK to you! I like that Upright Bass in Kontakt. I'd prefer the real thing of course...but I'd have to buy a bigger car to get it home.

Cheers!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2015, 11:55:31 AM »
Your'e the king of this laid back jazzy tunes Cramer :) I love it and for me, the male voice works

just fine :) but I can understand why the guys would like to hear it sung by a salutary sexy lady  :-*

I like the synth but definitely bring up the sax :o it's sounds very cool  8)

I like the slow mellow tempo of this...stellar production all round  :) :)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2015, 04:27:29 PM »
"Smooth Jazz" they call that in the U.S.    I liked the vocal.  Very vulnerable and fits the music well.  There are so many vocal treatments (i.e. same lyric with different timing and "attack points") that one could sing this to.  Wonderfully versatile accompaniment. 

AND.... this is a LOT better tune after you have listened to it halfway through and "gotten used to it". 

If you get halfway through, your are compelled to listen to the end.  That's a VERY good characteristic in a song.  It means the song "grows on you" and becomes addictive with familiarity.   

I loved the whole concept and song.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

DevyE

• Solo Gig
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2015, 09:07:14 PM »
Hi VCHO

Definitely late night listening, Jazz is not my thing but this sounds like good laid back easy listening to me, I can imagine Sade singing it. Nice one  :)

Now where is that waiter I want another drink before the sun comes up  :)

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 09:51:44 PM »
I'm with Monty on this one Cramer. Those drums just aren't doing it for me. And while I echo some of the vocal comments, I think you have a good enough tone to your voice to get away with it, especially with a little reverb bouncing off the walls, you dig?

But what appeals to me most about this song is the harmony - those chord progressions are so beautifully subtle. There's so much in this song I could probably listen 10 times and still be finding new things and different ways to appreciate it.

Another vote for brushes, on the fence re the solo synth sound, but everything else - love it :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 11:24:57 AM »
More languid luscious loveliness! You are putting together a future book of jazz standards.

I know you've said you see this as a male vocal (and you do have a good voice for it, nice and smooth...even if it could be a tiny tad smoother in places) but if you ever think you'd like to hear a female version...... Hint hint  ;)

retrononomusic

• Solo Gig
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 06:56:41 PM »
Nice Jazzy feel with this one, got me calm and sober. :-)

This is not the kind of songs I listen to everyday, but it's addictive, it's hard to stop the song before it ends.

Great!

Nono.

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 04:53:26 AM »
Just some thanks....

Suzy...pleased you liked the vocal, though it's far from perfect - gives me hope for the future!

Verlon - You too! Thanks for the kind comments.

Devy - thanks for listening. Sadé, eh? Where can I get in contact with her I Wonder?

Tone - Glad you loved it! Those maj7 chords can create some interesting possibilities and the chord substitutions also give some different melodic ideas. i'll have to investigate reverb more intensively I think....and I'm looking at brush drums. If only I had a drumkit I might become an expert at brushes 'cos I don't think my wife or any neighbours would tolerate me practising with sticks too much.

Becky - thanks for the alliterative praise! Writing a jazz standard which everybody wanted to cover is the most I could possibly hope for....one day...
I can take a hint! I've got something else in the pipeline too!

Nono - glad to calm you down and sober you up.

Thanks to all of you.
Take it easy.

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »

HEY CRAMMER

this is really addictive

sooooo laaaaiiid baaaaccckkk maaannn I LOVE IT

it really suits your vocal down to a T too
 really enjoyed the music sunk into my chair brew in hand and chilled

great track thanks for the relaxing vibe bud

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 02:05:46 PM »
Tony - cheers for the comments.

Glad it got you laid back!
Take it easy.

fischermans

• Platinum Album
  • most other people find me suspicious
    • This is my band and me.
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 10:08:52 PM »
Had a very good listen to this smooth song. I like it a lot. Made me a laid back feeling. May it's a bit too long but on the other hand why not. Jazzy tunes is a very good description.
My band and me live in Eupen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp_SGRMve1M&feature=youtu.be
><(((°><°)))><

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 04:39:11 AM »
Thanks for listening and commenting Alexander.

Glad you enjoyed the laid-back feel.

Always struggling to keep the songs a bit shorter.....but I can't!
Take it easy.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2015, 04:21:39 PM »
This is a lovely song

I also got swept away with the mellow opening

Another vote for brushes here - or at the very least mix the drums (especially the snare/side stick) lower in the mix

The Kontakt bass sounds great

The sax solo was a tad "spritely" for the track but this is a small price to pay when using loops - I would rather it be there as it is than not at all
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic