konalavadome

Vote--December SOTM!

• 71 Replies

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 10:31:25 PM »
Btw I can host Feb SOTM if no takers as its been about a year since my last host but surely there are more than 12 willing hosts out there  :)

but there isnt john there are only 13 core members here ...everyone else either pops in every now & then ,or doesnt care enough to get involved & its just a place to get free attention or advice...
i think its very sad
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Radio

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 12:07:17 AM »
I've voted  :D

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 11:45:13 AM »

but there isnt john there are only 13 core members here ...everyone else either pops in every now & then ,or doesnt care enough to get involved & its just a place to get free attention or advice...
i think its very sad

The sad thing is people can get quite a lot out of the forum when they get more fully involved but they don't realise it.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 11:49:39 AM »
Would it be worth forwarding a list of the ones who voted to the next host and choosing the nominations from the people who vote? It's a shame to exclude people, but maybe if you needed to vote in the previous months competition to be considered for the next one, more people would get involved?

I dunno...just thinking out loud, really...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
Not getting nominated if you don't vote works for me. Though I'm at a loss as to why anyone wouldn't vote.
Songs often get upwards of 25 comments (though there are some OP ones in there too) so where is everyone?
I'd be up for a hosting session too. Or maybe a new competition (half kidding).
Cheers
Adam

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
I think excluding more people will be a shame & make the monthly competiton narrower & worth less & might even kill it off
the problem is people who dont vote just arent involved enough here & I dont think they are aware of a lot of things... so...
if I was hosting the comp this month I would ask vicki for the list of who voted
& I would PM those who didnt vote & have a song eligible for this months SOTM & say:

Omg your fabulous song has been selected for our SOTM! ...talent scouts are waiting! & I am so excited for you.. it is a cracker after all & richly deserves all th...OH NO!!
 Ive just noticed you didnt vote last month & im going to have to exclude you! >:(
oh sweetie ,that is such a tragedy ...try not to be too heartbroken... & make sure you vote this month so your amazing talent  can have its richly deserved shot at fame next month
(what am i going to tell the guys from Sony Music now???)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 02:26:49 PM »
Anyway.

Who won the bloody thing?  :D

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2017, 06:08:55 PM »
IMHO....to bring more people into the site arena, we should do away with the short list, and allow all those who want to submit a song, in the monthly song competition, to enter.
This monthly competition, here at SWF, does need some new blood.....and this just might bring a new and exciting change.

Just saying......and I mean this respectfully  :)

8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 08:57:41 PM »
I like Tom's idea. We do other challenges that way and they seem to work okay. I especially like how it would make it easier for the host to know which songs are in the competition. Have one thread for the month and everyone who wants to submit a song posts the link in that thread. Another aspect I like a lot is that the host doesn't have to leave out any songs s/he thinks really should be included.

Yeah, I vote for this idea.  ;D

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 09:11:28 PM »
Once again, I'm with Tom!  :D

I too, support this idea.

/Peter

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 09:50:39 PM »
im sure the SOTM competition was organised this way for good reasons...(tho i cant remember all the reasons as i had left at the time) so i think someone who was around then & knows exactly why ( like maybe montydog)  should explain before people start clamouring for something new :)
im sure it evolved this way over time & after problems were encountered

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 10:01:49 PM »
They should speak up then because I quite like the idea. Unless it gets like Eurovision and we start having tactical voting  :o

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 10:20:20 PM »
I know I've been revisiting this thread over time and several other similar threads. I would like to suggest that for the February contest which I am quite willing to host (Can't do January) We have Open house and any of the songs posted that month could be voted for ? Whaddya think fellow forumites ? Just thinking of ways to get more participation AND remember how bleedin scared you were when you posted your first song on here. I'm sure that quite a few guys can be scared off. This is a Songwriters forum. Lets support songwriters irrespective of where they are on their development and what quality of production etc is being submitted. Cheers John Pompeyjazz  :)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 10:55:50 PM »
If I remember rightly, the competition was set up this way because it was thought that forum members wouldn't have the time or inclination to listen to every song that is posted every month. I think this is a fair point but it's not down to me. It's really down to Boydie.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2017, 11:36:21 PM »
A few observations:
The 100 post rule was to stop fly Byatt (does that ) and encourage posting ( doubt it)
Finding those to run it next month is hard. You could do away with selection it wouldn't be needed.
Getting people to vote is hard. Automate it somehow. I'm sure Jambrains is a technical wiz and knew how to  rig polls make it easier to vote, none of that pm stuff..

Personally I'm not sure it's broken but if we can make it better and more inclusive then great. Any changes should be to make it easy and imho it should be fun and not too serious, more like a show case. I think Boydie had some suggestions around the re-branding??
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..