Social Networks - Beyond Twitter and FB

• 37 Replies

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2013, 07:37:31 PM »
Yeah, it's activity and occasionally something really worthwhile emerges ;-)

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2013, 08:32:20 PM »
Push your music in every conceivable direction you can.

If you push your music to 100 people and 10 like it, push 10 times harder.

Remember - no matter how hard you work, there's always someone working harder.

Do whatever you can, wherever you can, whenever you can.

Nobody's going to do it for you.

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 10:14:57 PM »
Quick update :

I've just reached my 500th follower with over 1000 listens in just over two weeks.

I stopped adding followers over a week ago. Now I'm getting more every day with approx 50 listens every day.

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 05:56:26 PM »
I post links to my lyrics on twitter, no one ever clicks on them, but I find some comfort in knowing that they're there...you never know Gary Barlow might check my page one day... :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

KEROUAC1957

• Open Mic
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »
I've been noticing another aspect of Soundcloud. Sometimes people will follow you so that you follow back. Then a while later when you're not looking they will unfollow you which is a bit underhand.

I think I also read somewhere that the maximum follows you can do is 2000. So some people are being tactical with who they follow.

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 08:17:28 PM »
Latest update:

Having just passed my 700th follower and only followed 10 people at most during my last 200 followers.

It would seem that I'm now on an unstoppable path of people following me. The main reason is the number of followers I have ironically.

I now need a way of messaging every single one with info re my songs.

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 09:41:56 PM »
Just hit 800 followers on Soundcloud.

Good but nowhere near as impressive as Mr James Nighthawk's 2500ish!

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 12:02:40 AM »
Haha... Well, I have some aces via cross pollination

I have a Tumblr and Google+ which I use carefully and, well, slightly aggressively. These both cross pollinate to Sound cloud a lot. I don't LOOK at my tumblr/Google+ feed much, but I hope those that follow me do (and clearly they do, as my SoundCloud plays prove!)

Tumblr allows embeds and "Reshares" which lets tracks go (mini)-viral very easily. I have gotten 100 plays in a day from Tumblr embeds alone. Just don't spam, or people turn off! Naturally.

Some people are concerned about such an approach. A follow/unfollow route. For me, it is all about getting the name out. I follow someone, they can ignore me or follow back. Its a gentle knock on the door, less intrusive than email spam and easily ignored. If they like the music they may stick around. I do something similar on twitter but ensure I stay following everyone that engages back. I have a cool group of followers on there. I also, probably have 1000+ followers on twitter whom I never speak to. But, they may well still be listening, and still become a fan in the long run.

As you say Alan, push in every direction! Avoid being rude, but a few tricks in my book are fine.

Try to target those that might care too. I aim for people that like artists similar sounding to me.

Next up. I have flyers and gigs to do. So times to get more REAL WORLD action that should generate some interest :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk