« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 12:26:57 AM »
Was talking to Jess really.

:-)

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 04:26:14 PM »
Ok ok I take it back! :)
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 05:19:08 PM »
No Jess!

I was just throwing some extra facts into the mix.

Keep your opinions strong girl! :-)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 06:13:11 PM »
I think Mr Mccartney,,is overrated ,in the same way Gary Barlow and Ed Sherrin are now....without Lennon to grind against (who did go on to write great things) he sort of collapsed into musical jelly and wrote very forgettable stuff..  :)

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 06:39:43 PM »
Do you mean Ed Sheeran or Ned Sherrin STC ? ;-)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 07:14:51 PM »
Do you mean Ed Sheeran or Ned Sherrin STC ? ;-)

both :D

Ed Sheeran

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
I think Mr Mccartney,,is overrated ,in the same way Gary Barlow and Ed Sherrin are now....without Lennon to grind against (who did go on to write great things) he sort of collapsed into musical jelly and wrote very forgettable stuff..  :)
I don't think you can compare McCartney to Ed Sheeran! The guy's only written, what, one album?

And regardless of what you think of McCartney's post-beatles output, you can't deny that those songs he wrote were world class. And you can't give John Lennon all the credit either. McCartney still wrote the songs, grinding against Lennon or otherwise. They still came from him.

I really struggle to understand why he's disliked by so many. The man was and is a genius. You don't have to like him to appreciate that.

As for Gary Barlow, he's a pretty damn good songwriter in my opinion. He's not quite up to McCartney's Bealtes period standard, but he's definitely up there with the best British writers of the last 20 years.

Ed Sheeran... well, he's a kid. Class A team is a nice song. Don't really know much else to be honest.

To support my position on this, here are just a handful of McCartney songs:
Yesterday
The Long & Winding Road
Hey Jude
Let it Be
Live & Let Die
Michelle
Martha my Dear
Penny Lane

I could go on and on....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:14:17 PM by tone »
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Homeless Recluse

• Open Mic
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 09:24:25 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

I'm sorry I bloody well asked now! ;D

Concerning the Beatles, Howard Goodall did an excellent documentary called 2Oth Century greats; one of which was about them and their impact on music. It's on youtube if you wanna watch it.   

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 09:24:58 PM »
As i type i can`t think of a one Gary Barlow song i would give more than 2/10 except the one in the charts at the moment,,it`s ok..i have better ideas than him.

ED Sheeran is over hyped, i posted a guy in the bar the other day thats creams him....way better talent....it`s all fashion that`s got Ed where he is today....

I don`t hate PM ...i know what he DID....i just don`t think he`s a patch on Lennon and their back catalogue post Beatles speaks for it self?

Just my opinion . ;)

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 09:41:16 PM »
As i type i can`t think of a one Gary Barlow song i would give more than 2/10 except the one in the charts at the moment,,it`s ok..i have better ideas than him.

Just my opinion . ;)

At the risk of sounding rude pal - and touching on a response to another thread I posted about 15 mins ago in relation to writing hits being 'simple' - if you really had better ideas than Gary Barlow don't you reckon you'd be the millionaire sitting on X Factor and he'd be the guy on here running you down? ;)

Ideas are one thing but getting them into a hit song is quite another thing. Personally I may not like much of Barlows stuff - or McCartneys or Sheerans for that matter- but I'm not going to poo poo their writing for that mere reason. Thing is plenty of people seem to like it hence why they are ll millionaires and I'm stuck arguing with you on this thread!!!!

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 10:10:49 PM »
Get real..he`s the product of a boy band,,and the=at wave of hype as kept him surfing..thats it,,compared to David Gray he`s a nothing!!

Next month i`m going into the studio with some muso`s and one of my compositions ..let`s see what comes out and if its as good as i hope i`ll say to you`TakeThat`.. Wink

Here`s the demo it will be based on.

https://soundcloud.com/songsthatcry/silverlady-demo-version-1
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:17:34 AM by tone »

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 10:22:33 PM »

Just my opinion . ;)

At the risk of sounding rude pal - and touching on a response to another thread I posted about 15 mins ago in relation to writing hits being 'simple' - if you really had better ideas than Gary Barlow don't you reckon you'd be the millionaire sitting on X Factor and he'd be the guy on here running you down? ;)

Ideas are one thing but getting them into a hit song is quite another thing. Personally I may not like much of Barlows stuff - or McCartneys or Sheerans for that matter- but I'm not going to poo poo their writing for that mere reason. Thing is plenty of people seem to like it hence why they are ll millionaires and I'm stuck arguing with you on this thread!!!!

Get real..he`s the product of a boy band,,and the=at wave of hype as kept him surfing..thats it,,compared to David Gray he`s a nothing!!

Next month i`m going into the studio with some muso`s and one of my compositions ..let`s see what comes out and if its as good as i hope i`ll say to you`TakeThat`.. ;)

Here`s the demo it will be based on.

https://soundcloud.com/songsthatcry/silverlady-demo-version-1

Compared to Jason Orange he's nothing! Seriously though as much as I may not like his music the man certainly earns a substantial crust from it. In fact Candy is one of my guilty pleasures and what I reckon is a really well written Pop song. The guy sure knows how to play to the gallery and though you and I may not like his stuff it's pretty emphatic that plenty of people do.

All the best with the studio session- will listen to the demo tomorrow as I'm knackered and heading to the land of zzzz's shortly. I don't doubt you'll come up with a good well written song but it's another thing getting the success of Barlow ;)

PS Surprised you like Barlows song in the charts at the moment, one of his poorer ones IMO. What do you think of Maccas Queenie Eye in the carts at the minute?

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 01:16:44 AM »
Just because he was in Take That doesn't mean he's not a super-talented songwriter. That's totally flawed logic. And as for the 'wave of hype' Gary Barlow couldn't get a note on the radio or TV between 1995 and 2004...

Here are some Gary Barlow songs:
A million love songs later (written when he was 16)
Back for good (number 1 in a squadrillion countries)
Love ain't here anymore
Rule the world
Pray
Shine
Patience

You don't have to like them, but if you call yourself a songwriter, you need to at least appreciate his skill as a writer.

And if you're going to say your songs are better, you're gonna have to put your money where your mouth is, son ;)

PS is David Gray a better writer? This year's love is good, white ladder was a good album, dead in the water. Dunno about better, but definitely a strong songwriting talent.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 01:42:25 AM »
`And if you're going to say your songs are better, you're gonna have to put your money where your mouth is, son Wink`

I knew this would stoke a few fires ;)

What i said is my ideas are better...and i think they are!

What GB has at his disposal, is firstly piano skills, i think this is an important instrument to compose on ,,,he also has money,studio time galore and a suppose a pool of talented musicians to draw upon....if a lot of folks on here had that..i`m sure there would be some cracking pieces of music being produced.

As for rest...David Gray just writes better stuff ,it`s so obvious me. sail away with me,,kicks ass mate!!.GB produces fluffy pop music for pity`s sake,,, :)

And your right about GB having a wander about in the wilderness ...but his path back to fame again is,, more benign ,doesn't speak to me x factor inspired sellout crap ,,for want of a better expression..

Patience is the best song followed by Rule the world..i think..

Getting back to the OP...it was to make money...now it`s to make money and prove a point.

I know i`m opinionated ..but it`s just that i`m right. :D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:58:30 AM by songsthatcry »

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 07:49:36 AM »
Dismiss songwriters like Gary Barlow or Paul McCartney off-hand and you're doing your own songwriting a major disservice.

There's always a reason why artists become very successful. You've just got to appreciate that fact and it'll make you a better writer (not u personally).

Ed Sheeran is a good songwriter. I've taught his stuff and he's clever/witty. Listen to someone's album and you'll always find a good song whether you like them or not.