Project Jimi

• 24 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: May 12, 2017, 09:19:38 PM »
Probably hard to imagine,given the usual stuff I post on here,but I'm a big Jimi fan and I hear his influence everywhere,despite his death 47 years ago.
This is a quickie doodle on logic meant to be a kind of tribute in the style of Hendrix...ghostly guitar at the the end etc.

Just as a reminder of our roots,it's not mastered or probably mixed that well.

https://soundcloud.com/skub1955/project-jimi/s-cjh9T

Hope you enjoy.

A wild commotion,a feedback in sound
Devotion and emotion shaking the ground

Stars flocked to see you,they were shocked to the core
Legendary,anarchy,like nothing before
Foxy Lady,Voodoo Chile,Bold as Love
Red House,Purple Rain Haze,Third Stone from the Sun

You set the ball rolling,heard guitar calling
You could do nothing wrong
A whole generation of pale imitations
And then you were gone

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:46:53 PM by Skub »

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 09:57:14 PM »
Really liked that, Skub. Some fine Hendrixy guitar throughout. I like the more mellow bit the best - that section's really catchy ("You set the ball rolling..."). Writing "tribute" songs is up there with writing songs about babies and dogs as being a tough thing to pull off, but this is pretty very good. My personal preference is for such things to be lyrically less obvious, and with this guitar playing it would still have been pretty obvious. But very enjoyable. Well done.

PS I'm in exactly the same boat. Despite all the stuff I post, Jimi is my main man, too. Even my choice of guitar is all about Jimi.
West Country Country Boy

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 09:59:04 PM »
I like it, big thumbs up from me.

Keith

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 10:40:37 PM »
This is great Davy, what can you say about Jimi, surely the most innovative guitarist ever. I often wonder what he would be knocking out these days and how that might have reshaped our direction in music. Apparently just before his death he was very jazz leaning. You've got some great authentic guitar sounds on this and your vocs are sounding "cool man"

JacktheLaughingBoy

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 04:35:38 AM »
This totally sounds like a throwback, well made, not much to critique as I also like this!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 07:06:42 AM »
Just blew my speakers up!!!! awesome!just awesome!!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 09:08:27 AM »
It's Jimi - but it's definitely also Skub! Personally I think wahwah pedals should should be banned in most hands but Jimi and you may be the exceptions!

I did think the song list was a bit unnecessary and you could have let the sounds speak for themselves, but I think as a project you did exactly what you set out to do and it all really comes together well.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »
Killer stuff Skub.  In particular the section around 1:35 onwards, really good solo.  The guitars layer really nicely with plenty of separation between them so you don't lose any clarity despite the distortion.  There were moments when your vocals actually reminded me of Roger Waters. My only suggestion is I thought the drums could be a bit louder/wilder if you want that Mitch Mitchell vibe going on too. 
It's all too beautiful.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 10:48:07 AM »
Shocking confession....Hendrix passed me by as any kind of influence...i just never "caught on"  ::) somehow.

I remember reading a quote from someone who said his legendary showmanship mostly consisted of pretending that his guitar was actually a giant c*ck.

I really like this though! You're a MINT guitar player, Davy. It's punchy and bounces along very nicely...vocal has a little grit in it which sounds excellent. Production was really clean and straightforward...sounded great to me.

A job well done  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 04:21:47 PM »
Oh my goodness its Electric DavyLand!   ;D
I dont think I will ever do a tribute song, they sound so hard to do well ..
If you do a brilliant copy of the persons style then people will think what a waste of time Id rather listen to the original, & if you do any thing less than brilliant then you will make yourself just look  amateurish by comparison
So I think this was the perfect way to do it ...it managed to sound Hendrixy enough to support the lyric but also like hed been born in Ireland & played country music on a Telecaster for quite a while   :)
It was very tasteful & worked wonderfully as a song about a hero & definitely wasnt someone doing a impression & falling flat on their face
Fab little licks kept it Hendrixy & I loved the wah wah guitar in the fade out ..that was definitley Jimi riding off into the sunset, probably to play country music in the emerald Isle  ;D
Purple Rain?? was that there to see who was paying attention?
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 06:59:30 PM »
Nice little rocker....reminded me of Cream again to start with...those vocals and bvs...same era...we've all seen Jimi doing 'Sunshine Of Your Love' on that TV show when Cream broke up. So I'm listening without especially looking for Jimi 'bits' and until the wah guitar right at the end I wasn't thinking of him.....it's just a nice rocky song.

Thing about Hendrix for me isn' just the guitar anyway...if it was just the guitar I wouldn't be interested. It's the songs...Voodoo Chile is a monster of a song. Foxy Lady and Purple Haze snappy accessible groovy songs. Angel...great song! I like his voice too...nice and fruity.

Sound is good too.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 10:06:35 PM »
delboy

Ta for listening Derek,yeah the lyrics are a bit lame in places,I'll maybe revisit the track sometime.  :)

diademgrove

Thanks Keith.  :)

pompeyjazz

Far out maaan.  :D

limbo

Cheers for your time limbo.  :)

shadowfax

Sorry about your speakers,Kev.  :(

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »
Hello mate, ;D

I'm embarrassed to say that I never even heard a Hendrix track until I was in my 20's & although I admired the epic solos, I just couldn't really get into it...still, that being said, I love the riff u use through this & that end solo is really great. Nice work man,as always!! 8)

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 09:45:41 PM »
Definitely got that Hendrix Vibe, which is what you want for a Tribute song.

Great guitar playing and love the different segments ....great how you merged them together.

Sandeep

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 01:43:56 AM »

Lu-huv that ending.
Axis Bold as Love was my fav way back when.
I wore out many a needle on that 33 rpm
I got Cream from this too - it was a great visit to the past and vocals were spot-on.

Great tribute song!
Paul