Cutting corners

• 5 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« on: December 17, 2016, 06:45:49 PM »
Man oh man,does it come back to bite ya.  :(

I used the bass facility on garageband which allows you to use a six string electric guitar as a bass and it works kinda okish on the bottom E and lower notes on the A. Passable. Therein lies the trap.  ::)

This was just pure laziness on my part,as I have half a dozen basses belonging to my son lying around the house.

Today I tried a real bass guitar on a new track.

:)..I mean  :( no I mean  :) er.. :(

It's a far better sound with the minimum of fuss and little faffing about with eq,that's a  :)

Having to go back over almost ten completed songs and re-record the bassline is a  :(

In Skubland,every day is a schoolday.

Over and out.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 07:18:35 PM by Skub »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 06:54:40 PM »
You just can't beat a real bass - there is just something "special" about having a real bass in a track

It will be worth going through your tracks - and you have learnt a valuable lesson for free  ;D
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 07:16:31 PM »
You just can't beat a real bass - there is just something "special" about having a real bass in a track

It will be worth going through your tracks - and you have learnt a valuable lesson for free  ;D

Free?

Time is free now?

Where can aye git me sum?  :D

Thing is Paul,even a 20 quid Squier off Gumtree would do the job,it isn't down to money. The corner cut was 100% laziness on my part.

Still,you're right,a lesson is a lesson.  :)

TimCurtis

• Open Mic
  • Zendium Moon Logo
    • Zendium Moon on Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 10:22:01 PM »
So tempting to just put on a quick synth bass then copy/paste. OK if it's that kind of song. But better to put in the real thing and build the sound around it than try to shoe horn it in later IMHO.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 11:51:14 AM »
But better to put in the real thing and build the sound around it than try to shoe horn it in later IMHO.

I have to say that I often intentionally record a live bass later on in the process

I typically programme a basic drum beat with the groove I want for the track (just kick, snare and hi hats)

I then record the guitar groove, piano/keyboard groove and a guide vocal

At THIS point, when I get a sense of the whole track I will record my BASS line, which naturally grooves with the other elements - i.e. Get a little more "flowery" between vocal phrases and lead into and out of natural transitions

I will then go back to the drum groove and change the kick drum timings to lock in with the bass (I find I can get a better "feel" for the groove playing guitar as I am not a natural drummer)

I don't always work like this but it has ALWAYS been very successful so I just wanted to post to say that you don't always have to record the bass first - I think I even recall that the Beatles often recorded the bass lines later in the process so Paul could compliment the lead vocal with his playing
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 12:05:54 PM »
I think that's right - bass should come later in the process and it's more important than we might think. Except perhaps in dance music where I guess that it should be part of the early building blocks to set up the entire groove of the track.