DIY panel game

• 4 Replies

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« on: October 16, 2016, 10:55:04 AM »
Hi - haven't been on the forum for a while but I thought this might make an interesting topic.

I help to run a small community music venue.  Once a week we put on a public event of some sort - open mic, jam session, band night, even a community singalong.  The audiences are usually fairly small but there's a strong community spirit and a good atmosphere.

Last week I decided to do something different and devised my own musical panel game, partly using rounds lifted from Radio 4's I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue (like "One Song to the Tune of Another"), partly using games and quizzes of my own invention.  I chaired and provided the accompaniment, four regular users of the venue agreed to act as panellists, and we recruited a volunteer to keep score.  Hardly anyone else turned up but it was one of the most hysterically funny evenings I've had in a long time.  Everyone really enjoyed it and we've agreed to do another one in a couple of months (and hopefully publicize it better!).  There was one person on the panel who never thought of himself as musical but was absolutely brilliant.  He said it made his day and can't wait to do another one.

I was just wondering what other people thought of this idea, since I don't think I've ever come across an amateur panel game anywhere else - they're generally the preserve of professional entertainers.  I was slightly nervous about stealing ideas from the BBC but it's not as though we're making any money out of it (and how can you copyright the idea of singing one song to the tune of another?).  Would you attend an event like this if it took place near you?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 11:29:04 AM »
This sounds great fun and COULD be a huge success for pubs and clubs

What you are describing is pretty much the typical "holiday entertainment" setup where the Holiday Reps get people up on stage to play little games and panel show "rip offs"

With the right crowd it could be a real hoot

The danger is that people won't turn up to watch other people play (unless they are well known celebs)

It is like a jam night - very few turn up that want to listen - the audience just tends to be those waiting their turn

If you could capture the holiday feel and get big groups in that will get drunk and egg each other on you may have a very happy landlord!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 03:06:53 PM »
This sounds wonderful and I'd love more details. I'd like to try something like this in my area. I'm not familiar with the "I Haven't a Clue" game; I'll have to do some research. I think idea this has potential to be a fundraiser for our local community theater group.

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 08:05:42 PM »
Sounds like great fun though possibly more for those involved than those watching ... Maybe find a way to get teams involved? And you must find a way to have Samantha on the show ... she won't mind, she's used to it!
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 10:52:03 AM »
This sounds wonderful and I'd love more details.

We had five rounds taken from "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue" (although we only managed four of them):
  • Singing Relay.  Each team was given the lyrics to a song and the two members had to sing alternate words.
  • One Song to the Tune of Another.  Self-explanatory; each panellist was given the lyrics to a song and had to sing them to a the tune of a different song.  (Very hard to set!)
  • Censored Songs.  Each team was given the lyrics to a song with various words blanked out to make it sound obscene.  They had to perform it with a "bleeper" to cover the blanks.
  • Just a Minim.  Each panellist was given the lyrics to a repetitive song (like "Old MacDonald") and had to sing it without repeating any words, substituting synonyms wherever possible.
  • Pick-Up Song.  We didn't manage this because we didn't have the sound system set up, but the idea is for each panellist to sing along with a recording.  The sound is then turned down and they have to continue singing until the sound is turned up again.  Then we find out if they're still in time with the recording!

In between those rounds I set a number of other games and quizzes, including one where teams had to identify lines of gibberish from well-known songs, and another where they had to give the line preceding the line that I gave them (much harder than you'd think).  There was also an improvised round where they had to form a "chain" of song titles (e.g. "Fly Me to the Moon", "Moon River", "River Deep, Mountain High" etc.).

I agree that this sort of event is probably more fun to take part in than to watch.  I thought maybe for the next one I'd include a number of audience participation rounds alongside the more structured rounds.  Certainly "Pick-Up Song" is the type of game where absolutely anyone can have a go - we might do it at our Christmas party.

As for Samantha, she was definitely there in spirit!